2013 Case SV185 crank, no start, no power to fuel pump

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

WyoLetrBuck

Like the title says, I was working the machine pushing snow and it just died. Turns over just fine, no white smoke, no start. Power to all gauges in cab. Installed new fuel filters and fuel pump. Cracked fuel lines to injectors, no fuel coming out. Battery is good. Tested hot wire to fuel pump while cranking, no power. Tested fuses and all good. Haven't tested/switched relays in cab yet. Found 70 amp relay on firewall behind battery, don't know what it does, but tested good. I'm at a loss here. Must be missing something. Maybe crank position sensor, but why no power to lift pump? Wanted to check with the internet before calling a service tech, who is two hours away, and getting a nice little bill. Thanks again guys/gals!

cdmccul

I don't have any resources for your machine... I'm trying to think of who I might know in a case dealer that would have a schematic. I'd locate the fuel pump on the schematic and trace the wire back to the next component or splice in the schematic and then locate that on the machine and test. You might find a dirty splice or another component to test.

Gut feeling is that you have a sensor not happy, or a relay not happy. I just don't know what kinda brains are in your machine that might be trying to control things from a master safety perspective.

OP
OP
W

WyoLetrBuck

So, even though it should've been one of the first steps, I'm going to switch out some relays in the cab and/or test them. I did pick up one new one from Napa. The instruction manual is horrible at labeling these. Instead of numbering them and then have the number and the labels below, they print the function of each relay/fuse on them in the book. They are almost unreadable. But, I did find the labels in the parts schematics. There is a relay for the UCM. Maybe there isn't power to the ECM and it's not powering the fuel pump. Did find out what the 70a relay was for in the rear, glow plugs. I'm heading over to the machine in a couple hours and start messing with it. I'll let everyone know what I find out. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
W

WyoLetrBuck

Well it wasn't any of the relays. Local Bobcat dealer sent a green tech out. He wanted to flip the cab, but it's almost impossible with the arms down to get to the cab bolts. I told him just take the cylinders loose and lift and lock it but he didn't even have a crane on his truck. Did everything I did and said that he needed it at the shop. I guess his definition of field mechanic is different from mine. Lol. So the meter is running now and the balls in their court.

brdgbldr

Well it wasn't any of the relays. Local Bobcat dealer sent a green tech out. He wanted to flip the cab, but it's almost impossible with the arms down to get to the cab bolts. I told him just take the cylinders loose and lift and lock it but he didn't even have a crane on his truck. Did everything I did and said that he needed it at the shop. I guess his definition of field mechanic is different from mine. Lol. So the meter is running now and the balls in their court.
It sounds to me like a short somewhere or a connection came loose. You are going to need to get that cab up in order to trace/check your wiring.

OP
OP
W

WyoLetrBuck

It'll be interesting to see what they find out. I'll make sure I post the cure when and if they find it. I hope they don't try to go throwing wiring harnesses at it. The shop is actually pretty good, but I don't know any of the mechanics anymore.

brdgbldr

It'll be interesting to see what they find out. I'll make sure I post the cure when and if they find it. I hope they don't try to go throwing wiring harnesses at it. The shop is actually pretty good, but I don't know any of the mechanics anymore.
Harnesses are repairable. Even if they do replace it, keep the old one and get it fixed. The problem is that sometimes it is very hard to find where the harness is bad without removing it and removal/installing is a big pain.

OP
OP
W

WyoLetrBuck

So the fix was super simple. The shop tested the fuel shut off solenoid and it was good. Ran some more tests and found power wasn't getting past the middle part of the machine. Tilted the cab and under some hydraulic lines the harness had come unplugged. Nothing super hard, just needed to lift the cab and start checking. Thank you guys for all the help. I'm glad it was an easy fix but I'm kind of disappointed I didn't have the time to find that little bugger.