2013 318D rear glass replacement???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

smelt240

Hey all, I did it this time. My battery terminal was loose, and it popped off, mid-dig in a loam pile. Lift arms halfway up, no phone in my pocket, and nobody around. Knowing I was about to REALLY screw up, I popped the egress glass out. Oh, it came out SO easy... I climbed out, fixed the terminal and... Yep, now it won't go back in... Is there a trick to popping the little lip back in there, without having 6 hands, 3 helpers, and a stroke of good luck? My wife is here now, and able to help me from the inside of the cab. We've pushed, we've pulled, we've added dish soap, and all we've managed to do is get eaten by black flies, burned by the sun, and fully irritated. I've searched everywhere, and found only videos and descriptions of how to do this on other glass, that seems easier than this one.. Thanks for any help, if I get this figured out, I may just make a video of how to do it.

OP
OP
S

smelt240

So, a hour's time and dish soap were the key... It finally got started into the little slot, and that allowed me to use a rounded car interior tool to push the seal around the glass enough to get things going... Having a helper kneeling in the seat backwards is a big help here as well. Can't be in two places at once...

Jyuma1

Perhaps you could have used the same technique used to replace windshields in older cars. Wrap a small (nylon?) rope in the "little slot" in the rubber gasket, then feed the small rope into the cab through the opening where the window will go and while applying sleight pressure from the outside have someone pull either side of the rope from the inside and as the rope pulls out, the rubber lip to roll over its intended tab.

Works great for car windshields but I don't know about rear windows in skid steers.