2011 325g overheating

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stevis05

My excavator keeps over heating, and warming buzzer come on. I've put a new thermostat, temp sensor, brand new coolant radiator and cap on. Filled with purple bobcat coolant and still i get overheating even in 30 degree weather. Sometimes it'll run all day and not over heat, other days it can't run for more than 2 min with out overheating. The radiators are clean, no leafs or dirt built up. When I get the overheat signal and shut down, and immediately restart, it will read good again. But anywhere from 30 seconds to five min later it will over heat again. I don't get it. When it does overheat, the radiator doesn't even feel that hot, like it's hot but I can touch it with out burning myself, and upper hose seems hard. Hydraulic radiator will seem Luke warm but never very hot. Any help would be appreciated thanks

flyerdan

The fact that this seems to happens erratically and there is no obvious signs of overheating tends to suggest that this is an erroneous readings problem rather than mechanical.
A couple of obvious things to check would be the wiring connectors between the coolant temp sender and the computer, and the engine ground strap, if equipped. Sometimes an intermittent ground will give electronics fits.
It's also worth checking to make sure that the water pump is being driven properly, and maybe even get one of those inexpensive HF infrared thermometers to make sure there aren't any hot spots causing a real issue.
Hopefully someone knowledgeable in these systems will chime in with more info.

Woogers64

The fact that this seems to happens erratically and there is no obvious signs of overheating tends to suggest that this is an erroneous readings problem rather than mechanical.
A couple of obvious things to check would be the wiring connectors between the coolant temp sender and the computer, and the engine ground strap, if equipped. Sometimes an intermittent ground will give electronics fits.
It's also worth checking to make sure that the water pump is being driven properly, and maybe even get one of those inexpensive HF infrared thermometers to make sure there aren't any hot spots causing a real issue.
Hopefully someone knowledgeable in these systems will chime in with more info.
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with this ? i Have a 2006 that does a similar thing

gregs

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with this ? i Have a 2006 that does a similar thing
did anyone figure out this problem. i'm having issues with overheated engine and hydraulics codes, even shuts down machine and machine is cold

Tazza

Staff member
did anyone figure out this problem. i'm having issues with overheated engine and hydraulics codes, even shuts down machine and machine is cold
Your best bet is to get an IR temperature gun to ensure it is indeed getting hot, sensors do go bad.
Engines can over heat due to bad head gaskets or cracks
I have an excivator that would over heat all the time, it did have a bad head gasket, i installed a new gauge and sender so i knew what temperature it actually was running at.