2005 New Holland LS185B Engine Vibration?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

eeastment

New to this forum and just purchased the subject skid with 1,300 hours on the clock. After running a tank of fuel through it it seems to have a strong vibration at almost any engine speed. This is a 3-cylinder turbo motor. It shakes quite a bit and I don't think this is typical. Power seems fine and it does not smoke (black, white, or blue). It rattles the body panels hard enough to make them chatter very loud. My question is: what are the typical sources of engine vibration for these units? and what are the diagnostic procedures to determine them? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
E

eeastment

I should add that this is a lower-frequency vibration that changes with engine speed (at idle... thump thump thump thump thump). It is not a higher frequency vibration like from hydraulic pump vanes or gerotor pump. Some Possibilities? 1.) engine mounts (has three mounts that, so far, look OK). 2.) plugged or clogged injector 3.) Something to do with the coupling between engine and pump 4.) Gremlins inside the engine bay with hammer

Mike10

I should add that this is a lower-frequency vibration that changes with engine speed (at idle... thump thump thump thump thump). It is not a higher frequency vibration like from hydraulic pump vanes or gerotor pump. Some Possibilities? 1.) engine mounts (has three mounts that, so far, look OK). 2.) plugged or clogged injector 3.) Something to do with the coupling between engine and pump 4.) Gremlins inside the engine bay with hammer
The rubber engine mounts needs to be replaced. Common on those models.

OP
OP
E

eeastment

The rubber engine mounts needs to be replaced. Common on those models.
Mike, This is my 1st skid so I have no experience with these but I've been under the hood since I was 6. I'll give the engine mount replacements a try, they're not that expensive and I can do the labor. The vibration does seem worse after a day of run time (warm unit). So this could agree with the motor mounts being the culprit. I'll give it a try. If the engine mounts don't cure the issue what would be the next possible cause?

OP
OP
E

eeastment

Getting back to this thread years later…. FIXED.

Yes, the fix was no doubt the engine mounts. When I removed the old ones they were rusted near-solid inside thus inhibiting the vibration damping function. New mounts installed and the thing still vibrates a bit, likely due to the 3-cylinder design, but NOTHING like before, way more smooth.

When I installed the new mounts I painted the engine mount internals then gave everything a liberal coating of silicone lubricant (for brake applications) to prevent moisture ingress and future rusting.