2003 Caterpillar 246B Hour Meter Not Working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brm_myers

Hello, any ideas how to get and hour meter to work on a Cat 246B? I could replace the gauge, but will the original hours be sent from an ECM ?Or will it be starting over from 0 ?Any common suggestions to look for like a broken wire, ground, or sensor? Many Thanks!

flyerdan

I'd start with a DMM and see if there was 12 volts at the meter when it was running: if no, test the wires for continuity, then the sender. If yes, take the meter apart and see if it was repairable.

reaperman

Par for the coarse on the cats. We have two cat machines at work with the same issue. I called the dealer after figuring out the meters were the issue to ask him the same question. The replacement meters ($80) start at zero, sorry. But that's what he told me.

Mikefromcny

Par for the coarse on the cats. We have two cat machines at work with the same issue. I called the dealer after figuring out the meters were the issue to ask him the same question. The replacement meters ($80) start at zero, sorry. But that's what he told me.
The new meter will start at zero. There is no 'memory' from the ecm on this vintage. You could always hook the new meter to a battery for awhile and unhook at the desired amount of hours.