2001 773G head removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

andyjax

Hello all- 2001 773G turbo, overheated once or twice but didn't run it hot. Now coolant in the oil and guess I've got a bad head gasket or crack in the head. I just drained the oil and coolant out of the crankcase, drained all the coolant out of the radiator, refilled crankcase with oil and ran it for one minute to try and preserve the lower end. Ran fine. Previous threads recommend pulling the entire engine but I really don't have the place for that. I can pull the head with no problem. I've got to have the machine, so thoughts are welcome. The engine was in great shape when this happened. No oil burn, about 1300 hours. What's the worse and best case for just pulling head. I gather that if I pull the head and there's coolant in a cylinder that's a bad thing.

SkidRoe

You could always pull the injectors and crank it to see if coolant shoots out before removing the head.
Kubota's don't like being overheated at all, so a cracked head would not come as a surprise.
The only thing with leaving the engine and pump assembly in place is that you will be working in a cramped area, without real good access and visibility. I am not saying it can't be done, but others have initially resisted pulling the assembly only to find out later that they were glad they did.
For what it is worth - SR

OP
OP
A

andyjax

You could always pull the injectors and crank it to see if coolant shoots out before removing the head.
Kubota's don't like being overheated at all, so a cracked head would not come as a surprise.
The only thing with leaving the engine and pump assembly in place is that you will be working in a cramped area, without real good access and visibility. I am not saying it can't be done, but others have initially resisted pulling the assembly only to find out later that they were glad they did.
For what it is worth - SR
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I can pull the engine by itself without the pump assembly but maybe I'm wrong. Hard to see in there. The engine sits sideways and connects to the pump with a drivebelt. Anyway, pulling the injectors and cranking it-if coolant comes out I suppose that means I need to pull and break down the lower end-is that right?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I can pull the engine by itself without the pump assembly but maybe I'm wrong. Hard to see in there. The engine sits sideways and connects to the pump with a drivebelt. Anyway, pulling the injectors and cranking it-if coolant comes out I suppose that means I need to pull and break down the lower end-is that right?
With injectors or glow plugs out, if you crank and it shoots coolant out means you probably have a cracked head allowing coolant into the cylinders. Not the bottom end, if it got hot and mixing coolant into the oil, i'd bet the head is cracked.
I think you can still pull the head while it's in the machine still, access ma not be fun, but it i think it can be done

OP
OP
A

andyjax

With injectors or glow plugs out, if you crank and it shoots coolant out means you probably have a cracked head allowing coolant into the cylinders. Not the bottom end, if it got hot and mixing coolant into the oil, i'd bet the head is cracked.
I think you can still pull the head while it's in the machine still, access ma not be fun, but it i think it can be done
Thanks Tazza- Had a local diesel mechanic over today. I think we agreed to just pull the engine ( because I want to keep the machine for a while ) and tear it down and reman it like a long block. Trouble is you cannot find a long block anywhere, so I guess we'll do our own. Question- since Kubota doesn't provide their own rebuild kit, do you have any recommendations on Amazon for the good one. Lots of Chinese stuff out there which may or may not be good. Don't mind paying a bit more for good quality stuff. Thanks a ton!

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza- Had a local diesel mechanic over today. I think we agreed to just pull the engine ( because I want to keep the machine for a while ) and tear it down and reman it like a long block. Trouble is you cannot find a long block anywhere, so I guess we'll do our own. Question- since Kubota doesn't provide their own rebuild kit, do you have any recommendations on Amazon for the good one. Lots of Chinese stuff out there which may or may not be good. Don't mind paying a bit more for good quality stuff. Thanks a ton!
Honestly, i'd leave the bottom end alone and just do the head. Check that the pistons sit at the same height as you rotate it over to ensure no con rods are bent. If one looks to sit lower, you may have a bent rod.
The chinese heads seem to be pretty good actually, they are available on amazon and ebay.

OP
OP
A

andyjax

Honestly, i'd leave the bottom end alone and just do the head. Check that the pistons sit at the same height as you rotate it over to ensure no con rods are bent. If one looks to sit lower, you may have a bent rod.
The chinese heads seem to be pretty good actually, they are available on amazon and ebay.
Decided to pull the engine. Question while I'm waiting for the manual to come in the mail-this Kubota sits sideways with a belt to drive the hydraulics. Can't I disconnect the belt and pull just the engine? I'm a little nervous about disconnecting all hydraulic lines, draining the hydraulic reservoir, etc. Thanks.

Bswwood

Decided to pull the engine. Question while I'm waiting for the manual to come in the mail-this Kubota sits sideways with a belt to drive the hydraulics. Can't I disconnect the belt and pull just the engine? I'm a little nervous about disconnecting all hydraulic lines, draining the hydraulic reservoir, etc. Thanks.
Sure you can, when you remove the belt you will have to remove the flywheel and then your rear engine mounting bolts are behind the flywheel, then to you have a mount on either side of engine

OP
OP
A

andyjax

Sure you can, when you remove the belt you will have to remove the flywheel and then your rear engine mounting bolts are behind the flywheel, then to you have a mount on either side of engine
Great. Thanks. I figured as much. Is there any reason to pull the pump that I'm missing? While we're talking about it, I will pull the fuel tank and clean it out, fish out the pick-up tubes and replace the coolent hoses on the back side of the engine. Is there anything else I should do while the engine is out?

Latest posts