1st skidsteer- 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Clodhopper

Hello everyone, I bought an 873 yesterday, and it's the first skid steer that I've owned, and for the most part operated. I've run farm tractors for most of my life, but I don't really know much about skid steers, and it looks like this site is a good place to learn what I'm going to need to know. The machine I got looks like it didn't see a lot of outright abuse, but it does seem to have been neglected. When I got it home I realized that only about half of the grease fittings will take grease, and there are a couple of hydraulic leaks that need to be addressed. The seat belt and lap bar were missing when I got it and the hour meter had stopped working at 570 hours. I am guessing that any safety switches don't work or were disconnected. Another issue is that the serial number plate is impossible to read. Is there any other way to get a hold of the SN, or at least an approximate? It was sold to me as a year 2000. I am planning to have the timing belt changed as soon as possible, and want to repair as much of the stuff on this machine as I can. What other thing should I be looking at. Like I said, I don't know much about skid steers, and I am guessing that they have some things that need to be kept on top of that tractors don't. Is this thing air cooled (I don't even know what engine it's got)? I got an operators manual ordered, and I've been looking through the service manual on line. Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give me, Pete

Mikefromcny

Any way you can post picture? Either here or another site and link to it? It sounds like you have a c or f series if the hour meter isn't working. Should have an oil cooled Deutz. I had a 873 for a few years. I miss it at times, it was a fairly simple machine.

OP
OP
C

Clodhopper

Any way you can post picture? Either here or another site and link to it? It sounds like you have a c or f series if the hour meter isn't working. Should have an oil cooled Deutz. I had a 873 for a few years. I miss it at times, it was a fairly simple machine.
This is the actual machine. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=11040001

Mikefromcny

This is the actual machine. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=11040001
Yours looks to be a C-series, judging by the rear door, somewhere between 1994-1996. F series went between 1997-1999 and G series 1999-2002. C models have a 2 piece rear door. F series had a solid rear door, rectangle headlights. G series would have the triangle headlights and round top cab, with solid rear door. Check for power at the hour meter connections. You might have a bad pressure switch as the hour meter only works with the machine running. They were also known to crack at the loader arm pivots, behind the cab. Price isn't terrible, Used older skid steers keep creeping up in price around here. I sold my 873F for 10K last fall.

OP
OP
C

Clodhopper

Yours looks to be a C-series, judging by the rear door, somewhere between 1994-1996. F series went between 1997-1999 and G series 1999-2002. C models have a 2 piece rear door. F series had a solid rear door, rectangle headlights. G series would have the triangle headlights and round top cab, with solid rear door. Check for power at the hour meter connections. You might have a bad pressure switch as the hour meter only works with the machine running. They were also known to crack at the loader arm pivots, behind the cab. Price isn't terrible, Used older skid steers keep creeping up in price around here. I sold my 873F for 10K last fall.
Thanks for the info, it looks to me like you are right about it being a C-series. I guess it's still the most recent machine I own by a few decades. Any suggestion about what to do for parts without a SN? Will just knowing the series get me close enough? I tried getting a seat belt for it at the Bobcat dealership, and even for that they were reluctant to try without the SN. I bought this off of Craig's List in central Pa, but when I was looking at other 873s on machinery trader to get a sense of what they go for, etc, I saw the same machine sitting next to the same orange Dodge. The guy I bought it from said that there are brokers that relist these things, and if they can sell them for more they come and get them and pocket the difference. He said he had one skid steer he wanted 12,500 for, and a broker sold it for 17 something. So I guess you can't trust that these machines are where you think they are, or are being sold by the guy that actually has them. I gave about 8 for the 873.

Mikefromcny

Thanks for the info, it looks to me like you are right about it being a C-series. I guess it's still the most recent machine I own by a few decades. Any suggestion about what to do for parts without a SN? Will just knowing the series get me close enough? I tried getting a seat belt for it at the Bobcat dealership, and even for that they were reluctant to try without the SN. I bought this off of Craig's List in central Pa, but when I was looking at other 873s on machinery trader to get a sense of what they go for, etc, I saw the same machine sitting next to the same orange Dodge. The guy I bought it from said that there are brokers that relist these things, and if they can sell them for more they come and get them and pocket the difference. He said he had one skid steer he wanted 12,500 for, and a broker sold it for 17 something. So I guess you can't trust that these machines are where you think they are, or are being sold by the guy that actually has them. I gave about 8 for the 873.
Some machines had the number stamped in frame somewhere. Bobcatdan or another dealer tech here might know. Your own dealer may know as well. For the time being you could always use a serial number from another 873C series machine until you figure yours out, although you might be returning parts here and there if the number you use falls under a different serial number break. Brokers are pretty ballsy, I think I'd have a hard time selling something sight unseen and trying to explain issues to the buyer as both parties see it for the first time.

OP
OP
C

Clodhopper

Some machines had the number stamped in frame somewhere. Bobcatdan or another dealer tech here might know. Your own dealer may know as well. For the time being you could always use a serial number from another 873C series machine until you figure yours out, although you might be returning parts here and there if the number you use falls under a different serial number break. Brokers are pretty ballsy, I think I'd have a hard time selling something sight unseen and trying to explain issues to the buyer as both parties see it for the first time.
My thought about the brokers as well. I've got the muffler off of it now, and the plate on the motor is pretty legible. I wonder if it's possible to cross reference the SN from there. I also took the plate off of the machine, hoping that maybe the numbers had been punched in and that I could read them off of the back, but no dice. Thanks again for the info.

1ofU

My thought about the brokers as well. I've got the muffler off of it now, and the plate on the motor is pretty legible. I wonder if it's possible to cross reference the SN from there. I also took the plate off of the machine, hoping that maybe the numbers had been punched in and that I could read them off of the back, but no dice. Thanks again for the info.
Hello,
Welcome to the site , there's a bunch here that should be able to answer most questions you may have on the 873 .
I have a 873 it was sold to me as a 1999 but when i ran the serial through Bobcat i received a email back that mine is a 9-96 mfg machine .
on the serial plate there should be 6 numbers stamped in the plate vertical on the left hand side of the plate , with the serial number running across the top and then a bar code with the serial number under the bar code .
on your machine does it have the bics system a digital dash on the upper right side or 2 inch gauges for the instrustment panel ? my machine is a 2 owner machine and is in very good condition and iam still satisfied on the purchase of it , it's a strong machine .
on filters i dont use bobcat filters i did when i first got mine , but i'm over 3 hrs one way from any bobcat dealer so i use Wix filters on mine just cross reference from bobcat to wix and you can get them at any auto zone or Oreilly auto parts , on a new battery i bought mine just to day to replace the one that was in it a 07 battery i went to my local Farm store
and bought a 1150 CCA for 125.00 for a tractor . ive had 1 problem with mine when it fuel jelled up back when it was zereo temps outside , had to replace the pickup pump , pickup screen and tube other than that mine has been a good ole girl ,
there is some things that you should do check your oil dip stick it should have 3 ribs on it as it slides into the tube on the motor , ck and see if any part of the ribs are broken off
you should take a air grinder and remove the 3 ribs make it smooth , if you need pics send me a email for follow ups . i build my own attachmnents for mine ae well as enclosing the windows and making a door out of lexan .
you can contact me at [email protected]
for any other questions you may have or post here on the forum , most of the time if you can post some pictures when asking it helps to understand or see what problem you may be dealing with .
here is a manual in PDF safe it to your computer so you wont have to go on line to see a manual .
http://ardiehl.de/Bobcat/873/Bobcat 873 Repair Manual.pdf
 photo IMG_20141213_145902_zps26007b30.jpg

photo DSC02700_zpsab9d1300.jpg

bobcatguy

Look on the sides of the machine down on the black part. The serial number will be stamped there. It will either be on one of the sides or on the front on the black part of the frame. I buy and sell machines and it drives me crazy seeing other guys advertise machines with a year I know isn't even close to right. I can understand being off a little but I swear some guys just put something up there hoping no one knows better. If you have any issues post them and I'm sure the great people here will be able to help you sort them out. You can buy a Deutz timing belt kit on ebay fairly reasonable. You need a tool to get the timing belt cover off. I think it's a torx with a small hole in the center but I'm not certain.

bobcatguy

Hope this doesn't end up being a repeat post. The seller in the ad says the machine had $700 worth of hoses and service items at Bobcat. I'd ask the seller for the name they used at bobcat for billing then call the dealer and have them find the parts and service order. Whenever Bobcat does service they record the serial number. But again, you should be able to find the serial number on the black part of the frame.

OP
OP
C

Clodhopper

Hope this doesn't end up being a repeat post. The seller in the ad says the machine had $700 worth of hoses and service items at Bobcat. I'd ask the seller for the name they used at bobcat for billing then call the dealer and have them find the parts and service order. Whenever Bobcat does service they record the serial number. But again, you should be able to find the serial number on the black part of the frame.
Thanks for the info. The only number I can find is on a casting that is just inside the right cover plate, that the front of the motor bolts to. It's a 7 digit number starting with 670 if I remember right, which doesn't seem like it would match up with the serial number from this machine. I'll get out my wire brush and keep looking. I'll try also calling the bobcat dealership he used to see if they found a number. One problem I'm running into though is when I've tried to find parts at my local Bobcat dealer with an estimated SN, it doesn't seem like many parts are going to be available. The hydraulic cooler was bypassed and is missing (didn't know enough to catch that when I bought it). I managed to find what I think is the right one used, which should be here this week. I'm I going to need to find used parts for everything this machine needs, or are there sources other than Bobcat that I should be looking at? Thanks again, Pete

bobcatguy

Thanks for the info. The only number I can find is on a casting that is just inside the right cover plate, that the front of the motor bolts to. It's a 7 digit number starting with 670 if I remember right, which doesn't seem like it would match up with the serial number from this machine. I'll get out my wire brush and keep looking. I'll try also calling the bobcat dealership he used to see if they found a number. One problem I'm running into though is when I've tried to find parts at my local Bobcat dealer with an estimated SN, it doesn't seem like many parts are going to be available. The hydraulic cooler was bypassed and is missing (didn't know enough to catch that when I bought it). I managed to find what I think is the right one used, which should be here this week. I'm I going to need to find used parts for everything this machine needs, or are there sources other than Bobcat that I should be looking at? Thanks again, Pete
Keep looking on the mainframe. You might have to remove the tires to find it. The numbers will be fairly small and they're punched into the frame either on the sides or the front. I've never seen the number put anywhere else. If you want to cheat a little, go on machinery trader and find a 873 with a 2 piece rear door that has the serial number listed and use that. But again, if you look very closely you should find your serial number on the frame. It's always more difficult to find when a machine has been painted. On your serial number plate, can you post a pic of it here? Normally all the dealer needs are the first 4 digits. I'd still try to contact the seller to get the name that the alleged $700 worth of parts and service were done under and call the servicing dealer.

bobcatguy

This is what your serial number should look like 514115220 You could probably use this number to get parts for your machine.

bobcatguy

If the machine came from the 330 area code the dealer should be Leppos. I think they have most of that territory.

OP
OP
C

Clodhopper

If the machine came from the 330 area code the dealer should be Leppos. I think they have most of that territory.
It came from central Pa, and I think I figured out which Bobcat dealer it probably went to. Ironically though, I did order what it think is the right oil cooler from Leppos on Saturday night. Thanks again for the info, I'll keep looking.