1st Purchase

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Idoitall

I'm looking to purchase my 1st skid steer. I've owned, operated, serviced and repaired a tractor (gas) for many years, but never a skid steer. The machine will be for personal use around my place (so time is not money) cleaning up fence and property lines, removing small trees and brush, misc. landscaping uses, light lifting and loading, etc. Yes, likely a man's toy!!!! I have located 2 older machines and I'm looking for some input. The 1st is a Case 1845 (late 80's) with the gas engine (?? type). It had a light fire, so it has new paint and decals, new air flotation tires (100%), new wiring, some new hoses, new battery & alternator, etc. No major leaks, no weld cracks, broken arms, etc. The lift arms & pins seem tight. It comes with a standard bucket w/o teeth. No lights. The machine starts and runs well w/o smoke and no creeping. Some guages, including hour meter, are not working. This machine has the old syle quick-tach bucket. The 2nd machine is a Case 1845B (late 80's) with the diesel engine (?? type). It has new paint and decals, almost new air flotation tires, a set old solid tires (50%) and wheels, standard bucket w/new detachable teeth and a set of forks. I believe it shows 2800 hours. No major leaks, no weld cracks, broken arms, etc., but show some previous weld repairs, but nothing major. The lift arms & pins seem tight. The machine starts and runs well w/o smoke, and no creeping. All guages working. Both front & rear lights operable. This machine has the old syle quick-tach bucket. I know little about either machines history. I would rate the mechanical shape about the same for both. The prices are in the the same range ($6000). I'm looking the capacity and differences (weight, H.P., etc.) in these 2 machines, and also advise on gas vs. diesel. Also, should I spend more and get the newer style universal attachement plate and aux. hydraulics.

nailsbeats

I don't have any experience with Case, but I can tell you this: do not buy a skid with a gas engine, you will be dissapointed. They don't have much for power, especially for pushing into a pile. Whatever you do get a diesel.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't have any experience with Case, but I can tell you this: do not buy a skid with a gas engine, you will be dissapointed. They don't have much for power, especially for pushing into a pile. Whatever you do get a diesel.
I agree, petrol engines have all their torque in the high end, diesels are around 3,000 RPM which is what the pumps are rated at. A diesel will last approx 2x as long as the diesel fuel is a lubricant that helps keep the engine running smooth. Diesel will run longer on a tank of fuel as diesel has more energy that petrol for the same quantity of fuel.
On the other side, diesel engines generally cost more to repair as they have fuel injectors and pumps to worry about. They are harder to start in the cold too.
All in all, i'd go the diesel, i feel they are are better suited for skid steers than petrol engines.

skidsteer.ca

To start with a gas machine will use 50% more fuel to do the same work.
Only advantge I can think of is cheaper to rebuild and easier to start in cold weather.
Not having a std quick attach is a major disadvantage for resale or if you want to add additional attachments, you will have to make them fit, I not sure if you can still buy them from Case but that would be the only source aside from finding used. The loader can be modified to the universal style for $1000 to $1200.00
Diesel engine is likely a Cummins, (does it have 4 separate valve covers? then Cummins) the gas I'm not sure.
Not sure if the only update from the 1845 to the 1845b is the diesel, but there may be others,
I've heard these Case loaders are known for the wheels leaning in at the tops if they have been overworked/loaded so you may want to look to see if they look parallel to the sides of the machine
regards
Ken

OP
OP
I

Idoitall

To start with a gas machine will use 50% more fuel to do the same work.
Only advantge I can think of is cheaper to rebuild and easier to start in cold weather.
Not having a std quick attach is a major disadvantage for resale or if you want to add additional attachments, you will have to make them fit, I not sure if you can still buy them from Case but that would be the only source aside from finding used. The loader can be modified to the universal style for $1000 to $1200.00
Diesel engine is likely a Cummins, (does it have 4 separate valve covers? then Cummins) the gas I'm not sure.
Not sure if the only update from the 1845 to the 1845b is the diesel, but there may be others,
I've heard these Case loaders are known for the wheels leaning in at the tops if they have been overworked/loaded so you may want to look to see if they look parallel to the sides of the machine
regards
Ken
I may have found a machine worthy of purchase but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Yes, I know, its' not black and white!! That said, it's a 1995 New Holland LX665 Turbo, aux hyd, a smooth face GP bucket thats in very good shape, and a set of forks. The book says 50 hp and 1700# capacity. I'll assume it has a computer system since it has the digital display overhead. All the display lights seem to work and none stay on. Even the seat belt safety system works and alarms. I have verified the year and specs with the dealer.
The owner, an individual, has had the machine since 1997 (I've seen the bill of sale from the dealer). He has a small business and uses it mainly to work the parking lot and occasional lifting. It had 450 hrs when purchased and now has 1400 hours and he has only replaced the tires (50-60 % except 1) once since it seldom sees any concrete or asphalt use. The paint is original and in good shape (stored inside), with almost zero scratches and scrapes. The ROPS is solid and is not bent, all the lights work The engine runs well w/o smoking, and no creeping. The engine and pump compartments are clean with only a minor leak or two and has been serviced regularly by the dealer. The boom and front attachment are tight with no cracks, weld repairs, etc. There are rear weights included.
I'm told by the owner and the dealer that there has never been any major work done on this machine. The only things that I see that need work are the seat (split cover), and one of the quick-attach lever springs. A few hundred $would cover that.
The dealer says the machine is worth about $9,500 to $10,000. I can get it for less than that and I think the owner will take even a little less. He's not a motivated seller, just doesn't use it much since forklifts are around.
Questions: (1) What do you think about this machine and the deal, (2) Is there anything that I should look for, (3) What engine is this, and (4) Does the ROPS cab tilt up for service?
I will appreciate any advise that you might have.

Roozter

I may have found a machine worthy of purchase but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Yes, I know, its' not black and white!! That said, it's a 1995 New Holland LX665 Turbo, aux hyd, a smooth face GP bucket thats in very good shape, and a set of forks. The book says 50 hp and 1700# capacity. I'll assume it has a computer system since it has the digital display overhead. All the display lights seem to work and none stay on. Even the seat belt safety system works and alarms. I have verified the year and specs with the dealer.
The owner, an individual, has had the machine since 1997 (I've seen the bill of sale from the dealer). He has a small business and uses it mainly to work the parking lot and occasional lifting. It had 450 hrs when purchased and now has 1400 hours and he has only replaced the tires (50-60 % except 1) once since it seldom sees any concrete or asphalt use. The paint is original and in good shape (stored inside), with almost zero scratches and scrapes. The ROPS is solid and is not bent, all the lights work The engine runs well w/o smoking, and no creeping. The engine and pump compartments are clean with only a minor leak or two and has been serviced regularly by the dealer. The boom and front attachment are tight with no cracks, weld repairs, etc. There are rear weights included.
I'm told by the owner and the dealer that there has never been any major work done on this machine. The only things that I see that need work are the seat (split cover), and one of the quick-attach lever springs. A few hundred $would cover that.
The dealer says the machine is worth about $9,500 to $10,000. I can get it for less than that and I think the owner will take even a little less. He's not a motivated seller, just doesn't use it much since forklifts are around.
Questions: (1) What do you think about this machine and the deal, (2) Is there anything that I should look for, (3) What engine is this, and (4) Does the ROPS cab tilt up for service?
I will appreciate any advise that you might have.
I am also looking to buy an inexpensive (less than 10k) skid steer for personal use on my property. I found the following and would appreciate any experienced opinions about it. 1998 Bobcat 763 IR with 2700 hours. Engine may have been rebuilt 500 hours ago, no receipts though. I have not looked for the serial number yet. This is what I know: It was used for many years in a gravel pit, and then a homeowner bought it to use on his horse property (last 3 years) It has some creep that he said he tried to fix and gave up (he is an auto mechanic but has not worked on skid steers before, he said this should not cost more than $200 to repair even if they come to my location. Does this sound true?) The bucket pin bracket has had a plate welded on the right side (when looking at the machine from the front) to fix it back to normal supposedly? The tires are foam filled and should be replaced. The radiator hose has a pin hole leak in it. The seat is worn out and should be replaced ($120) the lights in the rear are broken or missing. The paint is rough and scratches abound. There seems to be a small leak from a green colored linkage mechanism in the engine compartment that the owner said is common. The sticks feel tight and the safety interlock works. The fuel gauge does not work and he has never run any attachments on it. I offered $6,000 and he would take $7,000 for it. I can have a skid steer mechanic look it over for $100 and will do that if he will let me tow it over there. Does anyone have information they would be willing to share?

Roozter

I am also looking to buy an inexpensive (less than 10k) skid steer for personal use on my property. I found the following and would appreciate any experienced opinions about it. 1998 Bobcat 763 IR with 2700 hours. Engine may have been rebuilt 500 hours ago, no receipts though. I have not looked for the serial number yet. This is what I know: It was used for many years in a gravel pit, and then a homeowner bought it to use on his horse property (last 3 years) It has some creep that he said he tried to fix and gave up (he is an auto mechanic but has not worked on skid steers before, he said this should not cost more than $200 to repair even if they come to my location. Does this sound true?) The bucket pin bracket has had a plate welded on the right side (when looking at the machine from the front) to fix it back to normal supposedly? The tires are foam filled and should be replaced. The radiator hose has a pin hole leak in it. The seat is worn out and should be replaced ($120) the lights in the rear are broken or missing. The paint is rough and scratches abound. There seems to be a small leak from a green colored linkage mechanism in the engine compartment that the owner said is common. The sticks feel tight and the safety interlock works. The fuel gauge does not work and he has never run any attachments on it. I offered $6,000 and he would take $7,000 for it. I can have a skid steer mechanic look it over for $100 and will do that if he will let me tow it over there. Does anyone have information they would be willing to share?
Disregard my post. I had the Skid Steer mechanic go to this 763 and look it over. He said he wouldn't pay $2500 for it. Then he said he has one we could buy for $6000. Yes, I am questioning his motives and scruples as well. However, he came reccomended by a Bobcat Service Dept. so that carries some weight in my mind.