1999 NH LX885 hard start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

powerstrok2

I just bought an LX885, it will not start without starting fluid. I had the hand pump, and fuel filter replaced (hand primer was leaking). That did not fix it, the control panel goes through glow plug count down. When cranking machine there is no smoke at all.

brdgbldr

I just bought an LX885, it will not start without starting fluid. I had the hand pump, and fuel filter replaced (hand primer was leaking). That did not fix it, the control panel goes through glow plug count down. When cranking machine there is no smoke at all.
The fuel pump may not have enough pressure. A lot of time when the fuel pump wears out it will loose pressure, but once the machine is started it doesn't need that much pressure to keep it running.

OP
OP
P

powerstrok2

Did that cause hard start, or no start. It very well could be the issue, after having hand primer installed, and fuel filter, they said it started 3 - 4 times with no issue. After setting for 1/2 a day it would not start. I may ne3d yo figure out how to remove fuel tank and clean.

OP
OP
P

powerstrok2

The fuel pump may not have enough pressure. A lot of time when the fuel pump wears out it will loose pressure, but once the machine is started it doesn't need that much pressure to keep it running.
I have tried using hand primer before starting with no luck. I assume if I take to a dealer they can check fuel pressure and verify?

Ivan

Ivan,
I truly have no idea???
Follow your fuel line from injector pump back towards the tank. An elec pump if it has one will be in this line. If yu turn your key on this pump should make a ckicking noise if it is working

foton

if you have a manual look for the layout of the fuse block in it will list it if you have a fuel pump circuit and fuse location on the fuse block and maybe a relay if one isused.

Jim A

May be air leak in fuel supply line letting fuel drain back and letting air into fuel system.
I would install an electric low pressure fuel pump in line from tank to filter temporary to see if it solves problem.
I put these on almost all the equipment I have now. I let pump run a few minutes before cranking motor to purge system.

OP
OP
P

powerstrok2

May be air leak in fuel supply line letting fuel drain back and letting air into fuel system.
I would install an electric low pressure fuel pump in line from tank to filter temporary to see if it solves problem.
I put these on almost all the equipment I have now. I let pump run a few minutes before cranking motor to purge system.
Jim
I picked up 3.5 - 7 psi fuel pump, is that what I am needing? Also do I toggle it on shortly before starting, or leave pump on all the time?

Jim A

You can let pump run continuously to prime system . I just convert many to full time electric low pressure fuel pumps .
Often the lift pump on engine check valves don't hold fuel which drains back into tank overnight then hard starting . I put one on my Mack 613 ..
Put a fuse in power line running pump. NAPA has pumps low pressure.
good luck