1998 LX 885 Controls won't unlock

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

paydaddy

When I wiggle the seat belt switch the controls will unlock for a moment then lock up again so I jumped the seat belt switch and I still have the same problem. I know on Bobcats they have a Boom and Tilt Actuator that can stick but I am not familiar with the New Holland system. I just bought this machine and any ideas would be appreciated.

Mike10

The system needs to see things done in a certain sequence. You must first sit in the seat, at which time all the lights on the instrument should come on momentarily and then go out except for the park brake light and the seat belt light. Next the seat belt should be buckled and the seat belt light should go out. If you bypassed the seat belt switch before sitting in the seat the hydraulics will not unlock.
If you have a test light check and see if you have power going to the seat belt switch and leaving the seat belt switch. You could also have a seat switch problem or seat harness problem. Shifting your weight while wiggleing the seat belt switch may cause any other problem to disappear briefly.
If the seat belt light goes out there should be power going to the instrument panel from the seat belt.
Are the outlines around the instrument panel lights gold in color or silver in color? The silver panels have had corrosion problems and could also cause the problem.

OP
OP
P

paydaddy

The system needs to see things done in a certain sequence. You must first sit in the seat, at which time all the lights on the instrument should come on momentarily and then go out except for the park brake light and the seat belt light. Next the seat belt should be buckled and the seat belt light should go out. If you bypassed the seat belt switch before sitting in the seat the hydraulics will not unlock.
If you have a test light check and see if you have power going to the seat belt switch and leaving the seat belt switch. You could also have a seat switch problem or seat harness problem. Shifting your weight while wiggleing the seat belt switch may cause any other problem to disappear briefly.
If the seat belt light goes out there should be power going to the instrument panel from the seat belt.
Are the outlines around the instrument panel lights gold in color or silver in color? The silver panels have had corrosion problems and could also cause the problem.
Thanks Mike, I tried the sequence and it unlocked for a minute then locked up again. One thing I should mention is with the run/service switch is in the run position the instrument lights won't go out. If I switch it to the service position they will go out. Also it doesn't want to crank over in the run position it will only start in the service mode I wonder if you could steer me in the right direction.

Mike10

Thanks Mike, I tried the sequence and it unlocked for a minute then locked up again. One thing I should mention is with the run/service switch is in the run position the instrument lights won't go out. If I switch it to the service position they will go out. Also it doesn't want to crank over in the run position it will only start in the service mode I wonder if you could steer me in the right direction.
Sounds like the instrument panel is not working right. When you sit in the seat with the service/run switch in the run position the lights should come on momentarily during the self check and then go out. Since they stay on all the time I would suspect the instrument panel is defective. If the lines around the warning lights is silver in color you will need to replace the panel. If the lines are gold the panel can be repaired. If you have a friend with a New Holland skid loader you might ask to install his panel in your loader to see if it will work. Your dealer may also have a loaner panel for you to try.
Since the lights are not going out it will not allow you to start the loader or operate the hydraulics. In the service position it does not depend on the instrument panel to start. In the service position the hydraulics will not work since power to the control valve solenoids comes from the instrument panel.

OP
OP
P

paydaddy

Sounds like the instrument panel is not working right. When you sit in the seat with the service/run switch in the run position the lights should come on momentarily during the self check and then go out. Since they stay on all the time I would suspect the instrument panel is defective. If the lines around the warning lights is silver in color you will need to replace the panel. If the lines are gold the panel can be repaired. If you have a friend with a New Holland skid loader you might ask to install his panel in your loader to see if it will work. Your dealer may also have a loaner panel for you to try.
Since the lights are not going out it will not allow you to start the loader or operate the hydraulics. In the service position it does not depend on the instrument panel to start. In the service position the hydraulics will not work since power to the control valve solenoids comes from the instrument panel.
Mike so glad your still with me! I have a gold panel so now I am going to ask you how a guy can repair it or what to look for. I have a volt meter and a test light hopefully that's all I need. You are a good man thanks again for all your help.

Mike10

Mike so glad your still with me! I have a gold panel so now I am going to ask you how a guy can repair it or what to look for. I have a volt meter and a test light hopefully that's all I need. You are a good man thanks again for all your help.
There are two wire connectors on the back of the panel. The inner one should be the one you need to check.
The only thing you can check is if you have power and ground to the panel. Without being in the seat and the key off you should have power at pin 14, it is R/LTGN and should be the last pin in that connector. Pin 13 is ground.
Now sit in the seat with the key off. You should now have power at pin 4 it is T/W. Fasten your seat belt and then you should have power at pin 11 it is LT/GN.
There are other pins that power up when you start but since the lights do not go out this should be sufficient. With the seat belt fastend and sitting in the seat you should have power at these three pins and the ground should maintain the ground.
You can have the panel repaired at AG-Express in Sulphur Springs, IN. You can look them up on the net. If possible I would try another panel just to make sure the problem is in the panel but the light problem is definitly not right.

mfyock

There are two wire connectors on the back of the panel. The inner one should be the one you need to check.
The only thing you can check is if you have power and ground to the panel. Without being in the seat and the key off you should have power at pin 14, it is R/LTGN and should be the last pin in that connector. Pin 13 is ground.
Now sit in the seat with the key off. You should now have power at pin 4 it is T/W. Fasten your seat belt and then you should have power at pin 11 it is LT/GN.
There are other pins that power up when you start but since the lights do not go out this should be sufficient. With the seat belt fastend and sitting in the seat you should have power at these three pins and the ground should maintain the ground.
You can have the panel repaired at AG-Express in Sulphur Springs, IN. You can look them up on the net. If possible I would try another panel just to make sure the problem is in the panel but the light problem is definitly not right.
I just sent one of those Dashes out to Ag Express and they sent it back. Said their test equipment broke, and they arent fixing them anymore...still might be worth calling them. Farmtronics in Canada fixes them too. $330 flat rate fee...

OP
OP
P

paydaddy

I just sent one of those Dashes out to Ag Express and they sent it back. Said their test equipment broke, and they arent fixing them anymore...still might be worth calling them. Farmtronics in Canada fixes them too. $330 flat rate fee...
Mike, The previous owner had the seat switches covered with a plate screwed down to the seat frame. I took those off and the lights went off on the gold panel. I checked all the pins you recommended and they check good. I sat in the seat and the pre check lights come on then flash seat belt and park, when I buckle the seat belt the lights go out then I start it in the run mode and the boom and bucket will unlock for a few seconds the lock again and the warning buzzer comes on and the panel gives a F OA code. The buzzer will not silence unless I shut it down. I should note there are only 2 bars on the fuel gauge so maybe its warning me of low fuel? Also the seat belt and park light will intermittently flash if I wiggle around in the seat. If I sit still the lights stay off but the buzzer stays on. Any more ideas?

Mike10

Mike, The previous owner had the seat switches covered with a plate screwed down to the seat frame. I took those off and the lights went off on the gold panel. I checked all the pins you recommended and they check good. I sat in the seat and the pre check lights come on then flash seat belt and park, when I buckle the seat belt the lights go out then I start it in the run mode and the boom and bucket will unlock for a few seconds the lock again and the warning buzzer comes on and the panel gives a F OA code. The buzzer will not silence unless I shut it down. I should note there are only 2 bars on the fuel gauge so maybe its warning me of low fuel? Also the seat belt and park light will intermittently flash if I wiggle around in the seat. If I sit still the lights stay off but the buzzer stays on. Any more ideas?
The F0A code indicates a problem with the boom or bucket solenoid on the control valve. To access the control valve flip up the seat and remove the panel between your legs. There are eight bolts holding it in place. Once the panel is removed you will see the control valve. At the front of the control valve you will see the solenoids and the wiring. You can test the resistence on the coils of the solenoids by unplugging them and checking the resistence. It should be between 15 and 18 ohms.
If you don't have an ohm meter then just unplug one solenoid at a time and start the loader and check if the pedal is unlocked and the error message does not come back on. You need to have one solenoid plugged in or you will still receive the error message.
The low fuel alarm is not a continuous alarm. It only beeps for a few seconds at a time.
It sounds like you may need to replace the seat switches or seat belt if wiggling in the seat causes a problem.

OP
OP
P

paydaddy

The F0A code indicates a problem with the boom or bucket solenoid on the control valve. To access the control valve flip up the seat and remove the panel between your legs. There are eight bolts holding it in place. Once the panel is removed you will see the control valve. At the front of the control valve you will see the solenoids and the wiring. You can test the resistence on the coils of the solenoids by unplugging them and checking the resistence. It should be between 15 and 18 ohms.
If you don't have an ohm meter then just unplug one solenoid at a time and start the loader and check if the pedal is unlocked and the error message does not come back on. You need to have one solenoid plugged in or you will still receive the error message.
The low fuel alarm is not a continuous alarm. It only beeps for a few seconds at a time.
It sounds like you may need to replace the seat switches or seat belt if wiggling in the seat causes a problem.
Thanks Mike, I get on it tomorrow. Good info I guessing it's one of the soleniod's. I'll check in tomorrow.

OP
OP
P

paydaddy

Thanks Mike, I get on it tomorrow. Good info I guessing it's one of the soleniod's. I'll check in tomorrow.
Mike, you were right on the money! The bucket solenoid is faulty. New Holland wants 232.46 for a new one. if I nip the plungers off and plug the 2 connectors that feed the 2 solenoids together will the control board function properly? i.e. the alarm stay off. Otherwise where can I buy one of these at a reasonable price? The number on the solenoid is LISK S-2233. Thanks again you have very helpful.

Mike10

Mike, you were right on the money! The bucket solenoid is faulty. New Holland wants 232.46 for a new one. if I nip the plungers off and plug the 2 connectors that feed the 2 solenoids together will the control board function properly? i.e. the alarm stay off. Otherwise where can I buy one of these at a reasonable price? The number on the solenoid is LISK S-2233. Thanks again you have very helpful.
Glad you found your problem. After hearing of other people getting hurt after bypassing the safety features on the skid loader I truly believe you need to bite the bullet and buy the new solenoid. As you have experienced, it can be very frustrating when things don't work but all it takes is one misplaced step when leaving or entering the skid loader and you will be in a world of hurt. From my personal experience with dumba$$ attacks you can not move fast enough to avoid injury.

I know this is an old thread, but I have recently encountered similar issues as well as some others.

Seems mine began around the time I had a buddy replace my seat with a newer one I was told was a direct fit. However he said the new one has fewer seat pad sensors than the original. I saved my old one in case I need to rewire the new seat with old parts.

In addition, I had some issues with the dash lights staying on even with the key out of the machine and no one in it. It would kill the batteries if I left the machine sit overnight or a day or 2.

tech.35058

Interesting. I have an LX865. The seat pan was rusting out, the "rim trim" would not stay on, and the rusty edge was sharp & would cut me if I was not careful . As a "training exercise" , I peiced together a new edge to the seat pan with a wire welder. Yes, it took a long time, just buying a new seat would have been a lot faster & maybe cheaper, if I had to pay a real welder to do it. I covered the top of the foam seat pad with black flexseal from a quart can, not the spray can, with fiberglass drywall joint tape in it.
the cushion is much better than the former ducktape cover. Yes my machine is pretty ragged, but I try to fix one issue at a time.( currently working on leaks). Good luck.