1998 Bobcat 853 hydrostatic pump

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jrodriguez

Hello I'm new to this forum and also to bobcat skid steer. I have a question about the bobcat hopefully I can get a straight answer here. I just recently purchased my first bobcat. Motor is in good condition and lifts with no problem even with weight on the bucket,but seems to have trouble turning to the sides left or right, it turns slowly and a red light turns on when I try turning it, it'll turn completely but looks like it struggles. It currently is at a bobcat repair shop but mechanic seems to be guessing at what it could be, he has pressure tested the hydrostatic pump and said it doesn't have pressure, and he also "thinks" it could be the gear pump. My question is how can I distinguish which pump is causing the problem or which pump is causing these problems judging by what the bobcat does. Any help or advice is helpful and greatly appreciate. I'm just trying to eliminate not spending so much money, I didn't know repairs are sooo expensive!! Thanks in advance

Tazza

Staff member
The dealer should know how to check these pumps.
They need to test the gear pump first, they should have the test gear for that. Essentially they restrict the flow to bring the pressure up then measure how much oil is flowing. The pump should be able to put out say 16gpm at 2,500 PSI (they will need to check the specs for that), if it's very low, the pump is bad.
If any of the pumps are bad, you can replace or repair them. Loader parts source have gear pumps and drive pump parts. If you have mechanical abilities, you can do the work our self. New pumps from the dealer will cost you dearly.
As you said it lifts well, i'd like to think your gear pump is ok and you have wear on your valve/wear plates inside the drive pumps.

OP
OP
J

Jrodriguez

The dealer should know how to check these pumps.
They need to test the gear pump first, they should have the test gear for that. Essentially they restrict the flow to bring the pressure up then measure how much oil is flowing. The pump should be able to put out say 16gpm at 2,500 PSI (they will need to check the specs for that), if it's very low, the pump is bad.
If any of the pumps are bad, you can replace or repair them. Loader parts source have gear pumps and drive pump parts. If you have mechanical abilities, you can do the work our self. New pumps from the dealer will cost you dearly.
As you said it lifts well, i'd like to think your gear pump is ok and you have wear on your valve/wear plates inside the drive pumps.
Thank you for the advice I will get with mechanic and ask him to test out gear pump asap... As far as the red light goes... What would cause that to trigger off....would it be better to get drive pump repaired or replaced cost efficient wise. Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this

mmsllc

Thank you for the advice I will get with mechanic and ask him to test out gear pump asap... As far as the red light goes... What would cause that to trigger off....would it be better to get drive pump repaired or replaced cost efficient wise. Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this
In order to answer that question, it would be VERY helpful to know what the light is supposed to be indicating or if it a symbol on it or a label on it. Without knowing a little more than that, all anyone can do is guess. Can you take / post a picture of which light is in question??

Tazza

Staff member
In order to answer that question, it would be VERY helpful to know what the light is supposed to be indicating or if it a symbol on it or a label on it. Without knowing a little more than that, all anyone can do is guess. Can you take / post a picture of which light is in question??
The light will be charge pressure. When there is too much leakage, the charge pressure will drop and make the light come on. It's common for that to come on when there is pump wear.