1997 Bobcat 331

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cmb7684

If everything goes right I will be picking up a 331 has about 2600 hours on it. It needs a motor as they blew the other one. Anyone have any idet what motor is in it? I have heard its a kubota 1702 or maybe a 2203. I plan to tinker with it so I have time as Im buying it to play with. I have never sat in an excavator much less operated one. Digging around it looks to need a motor, 1 track looks a little worn. The cooler and radiator where they took it out to inspect the motor and let it sit out in the weather looks a little rusted. The seat and controls are weather worn. The story goes they were running it and it started running like garbage. Got it back on to the trailer where it still sits today. They pulled the hydraulic oil tanks, cooler and radiator to get a peek at the motor. They saw a hole in the block where a piston came through. The maching has sat there ever since. Said to have sat up about going on 2 years. Anyone know what I should look for? How much is it worth? Should I rebuild or is it not worth it and should I just sell it as is? If anyone has a download site that I can download a manual that would be great.

Tazza

Staff member
If its a Kubota 2203 or 1702 you can get running V2203 engines off ebay at a reasonable price. You may need to do a few mods, like swapping sumps. Not much you can do if it has a leg out of bed, new block, con rod and piston at least, possible crank. Its possible the reason it did it was the head cracked and allowed coolant in and thats the end of the engine.
On an engine like that, its just good for parts.

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

If its a Kubota 2203 or 1702 you can get running V2203 engines off ebay at a reasonable price. You may need to do a few mods, like swapping sumps. Not much you can do if it has a leg out of bed, new block, con rod and piston at least, possible crank. Its possible the reason it did it was the head cracked and allowed coolant in and thats the end of the engine.
On an engine like that, its just good for parts.
Thanks Tazza for the reply. I saw a few engines on ebay at a decent price. I wouldnt dare try to rebuild the blown motor even if it hadnt thrown a rod. I meant as far the the Excavator as a whole is it worth repairing or would it be better to sell it as a part machine. My second question is if I sell it as a part machine what is it worth?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza for the reply. I saw a few engines on ebay at a decent price. I wouldnt dare try to rebuild the blown motor even if it hadnt thrown a rod. I meant as far the the Excavator as a whole is it worth repairing or would it be better to sell it as a part machine. My second question is if I sell it as a part machine what is it worth?
I really don't know what it would be worth. I guess it depends on what you could get for it working and work out what you need to spedn on it to get it working. Then factor in your time to get it going again too, plus a bit of a safety margin.

7LBSSMALLIE

I really don't know what it would be worth. I guess it depends on what you could get for it working and work out what you need to spedn on it to get it working. Then factor in your time to get it going again too, plus a bit of a safety margin.
if the motor is blown you have no idea as to wether the hyds work or if swing motor leaks or swivel joint , have a pro inspect unit prior to purchase. eng failure on these is usually caused by lack of maint. if eng was neglected what else was.? the 8000 grand for eng may just be the tip of the iceburg, but without it nothing else can be checked. we often think of the eng aS THE HEART OF THE SYS = in exv that is not the case, the price pumps and valves and motors. can far out exceed the price of an eng,so how do we tell, if eng is all it needs, hyd oil sample may be a good start? obvious signs of neglect should reasonbly apperent ?bucket sloppy. tower sloppy.? a good deal is good deal but go in with eyes wide open,

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

if the motor is blown you have no idea as to wether the hyds work or if swing motor leaks or swivel joint , have a pro inspect unit prior to purchase. eng failure on these is usually caused by lack of maint. if eng was neglected what else was.? the 8000 grand for eng may just be the tip of the iceburg, but without it nothing else can be checked. we often think of the eng aS THE HEART OF THE SYS = in exv that is not the case, the price pumps and valves and motors. can far out exceed the price of an eng,so how do we tell, if eng is all it needs, hyd oil sample may be a good start? obvious signs of neglect should reasonbly apperent ?bucket sloppy. tower sloppy.? a good deal is good deal but go in with eyes wide open,
Well I did my homework as much as I could. I called the dealer without him knowing I was going to. The guy was a local contractor who dug out foundations and septic tanks. Our local dealer sold it new in 97 and took it back in on trade in 04. In 04 they went through it and resold it as a used unit to the guy I bought it from. The saw the maching in 2006 for hydraulic work and again on 07 where they replaced the entire swivel joint and misc other work to the tune of 7000.00. The guy told me that they replaced the main hydraulic drive. All work performed by the Bobcat dealer. With about 125 hours on the machine after the work above the motor blew. And is where it sits on the trailer today. I picked up a package deal for the trailer the 331 and a 763 ........I have my hands full.

Tazza

Staff member
Well I did my homework as much as I could. I called the dealer without him knowing I was going to. The guy was a local contractor who dug out foundations and septic tanks. Our local dealer sold it new in 97 and took it back in on trade in 04. In 04 they went through it and resold it as a used unit to the guy I bought it from. The saw the maching in 2006 for hydraulic work and again on 07 where they replaced the entire swivel joint and misc other work to the tune of 7000.00. The guy told me that they replaced the main hydraulic drive. All work performed by the Bobcat dealer. With about 125 hours on the machine after the work above the motor blew. And is where it sits on the trailer today. I picked up a package deal for the trailer the 331 and a 763 ........I have my hands full.
Can i ask what you handed over for them?
Generally when an engine lets go, the rest was working at the time. That's how i worked it on machines i have bought at acution. The only exception was a fire damaged one, the engine was shagged, i assume it was torched for insurance.

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

Can i ask what you handed over for them?
Generally when an engine lets go, the rest was working at the time. That's how i worked it on machines i have bought at acution. The only exception was a fire damaged one, the engine was shagged, i assume it was torched for insurance.
Tazza I sent you an email with thd info and pics

melli

Tazza I sent you an email with thd info and pics
Sounds like a fun project...those v2203 engines are out there for 2-3k. I Agree that if someone let a Kubota engine pop a piston, they were not taking care of it. Knock on wood, my engine should be the last thing to go on my 331. IMHO - The pricey things on a 331 are the drive motors, swivel motor and main pump...the hydra manifold is another area interest, if it hasn't been compromised, I'd say toss a motor in it and see what happens...you could always resell the motor if it turns out the machine is a money pit. Have fun...

Latest posts