1994 case 1838 groaning noise when turning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

matt707

I just bought a case 1838 with 2100 hours on it. It runs great does not smoke and seems to have good power. this is my first skid steer, so I'm really not sure what is normal and what is not. The question I have is, what would cause a groaning noise when I make turns? It seems to be more annoying at low RPM. The machine turns fine, the loader functions are smooth and powerful, but this noise really takes some enjoyment out of operating this machine. Any help would be really appreciated.

ZackaryMac

If it's anything like my Case 1818, it's just the sound of the hydraulics. It should get quieter as the oil warms up, and also higher revs helps. As you're turning, you are loading up the drive motors as they force the wheels to rotate (I believe this is where the SKID part comes from). It generally stays quiet when going straight, as there is minimal load on the drive motors then. If this all that your problem is, it isn't actually a problem, but normal. There could be other issues here, but from what you described, it seems to be just hydraulics at work.

OP
OP
M

matt707

If it's anything like my Case 1818, it's just the sound of the hydraulics. It should get quieter as the oil warms up, and also higher revs helps. As you're turning, you are loading up the drive motors as they force the wheels to rotate (I believe this is where the SKID part comes from). It generally stays quiet when going straight, as there is minimal load on the drive motors then. If this all that your problem is, it isn't actually a problem, but normal. There could be other issues here, but from what you described, it seems to be just hydraulics at work.
Thank you for the response. I spoke to a friend over the weekend and his thoughts were almost identical to yours. He has a 773 bobcat and also has some experience with a case 1840. He said not to worry, just normal skid steer noises. I am new to skid steers and I didn't want to keep running it until I made sure this noise was normal. Thanks again!

Latest posts