1990 642b Model Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jaxon

Hey there, Newer to this forum and I have a few questions. My company recently purchased a 19900 642b bobcat and i'm currently in the position of getting it running top notch. I'm new to smaller engines but here are my questions. I have taken the carb off, let it soak, cleaned it, replaced old gaskets, replaced the fuel filter. The spy glass on the carb itself is showing there's fuel in there. When the skid steer is cranked up with throttle, and I go to put a load on it, such as using the pedals to lift/tilt the engine just bogs super hard like its choking out, I let off the pedals and it catches back up and is running sound. I'm running out of ideas. When I took the old fuel filter off there wasn't a lot of gas in it which kind of red flagged my thoughts. I'm looking for any other ideas. I was thinking maybe injectors? Is this something that we take this thing in for or are there other remedies that I can do in house to avoid shop labor costs? The skidsteer also has a slight creep in the left joystick, and was wondering how hard the adjustment is to get too? Seriously appreciate any feedback/ideas pertaining to the fuel issue. I'm trying to get this thing running before our companies busy season hits where we will need it the most. Thank you!!!!

Wayne440

With all due respect, you may be well advised to take some time to learn about what you are working on. Here are 2 free lessons- (1) carbureted, gasoline fueled engines do not have injectors. (2) it is often less expensive to pay someone who has knowledge than it is to learn by trial and error using your time and money. That said- IF it was my machine, I would be looking at the governor and associated parts.

Tazza

Staff member
With all due respect, you may be well advised to take some time to learn about what you are working on. Here are 2 free lessons- (1) carbureted, gasoline fueled engines do not have injectors. (2) it is often less expensive to pay someone who has knowledge than it is to learn by trial and error using your time and money. That said- IF it was my machine, I would be looking at the governor and associated parts.
Not having a full fuel filter is normal for petrol/gas engines, there is always vapour in there. You said the sight glass showed fuel, so hopefully your fuel supply is good.
As it runs but falls over when being loaded down, i feel it could be the govenor too. It is meant to give more throttle when you load the engine down, just like your lawn mower.
It could also be issues with your ignition system, bad points, condensor, plugs etc. Old petrol engines can be a pain to get running right, especially with no service history.

dick555

I JUST BOUGHT a 742b WITH THE WISCONSIN ENGINE ON PROPANE, engine ran great but stalled out on load, the problem was that the previous owner did not have the Hoof governor running, no belt, put the belt on adjusted the governor directions are on the net, just pray the governor is still good as a new on costs around $1400.00, all was preaty good after that

Wayne440

I JUST BOUGHT a 742b WITH THE WISCONSIN ENGINE ON PROPANE, engine ran great but stalled out on load, the problem was that the previous owner did not have the Hoof governor running, no belt, put the belt on adjusted the governor directions are on the net, just pray the governor is still good as a new on costs around $1400.00, all was preaty good after that
Consider changing the oil in that governor as well.