1986 T-133 Quick-Tach locking pin is stuck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jyuma

My 86 T-133 has a stuck pin in the Quick-Tach locking system. The right-side pin moves in and out easily but the left-side pin is stuck tight... as if it were welded there. Obviously something broke in the retracting mechanism because I should never be able to operate the left and right side pins separately but I can't get the left-side pin to move at all. I even placed a 3/4 deep socket over the end of the pin (the socket fits into the hole and over the pin) and smacked it with a sledgehammer but the pin wont budge. Both pins worked fine the last time I changed buckets. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
It sounds like its rusted in place. Are there and grease points you can try and get some grease in there?

OP
OP
Jyuma

Jyuma

It sounds like its rusted in place. Are there and grease points you can try and get some grease in there?
Yes... there is a grease fitting but I can't get any grease in. I took the grease fitting out and sprayed PB Blaster into the hole. I also sprayed PB Blaster all over the portions of the pin I can get to and I took the small inspection plate off the back and sprayed PB Blaster on everything I could see and even some stuff I couldn't see. Still no good. I've hit the pin (3/4 socket over the in) so hard with the sledge hammer that I shattered the socket but the pin just sits there refusing to budge. I'm out of ideas. I guess the next step is heat but I'd really rather not make the metal cherry red with as much grease as I've got all over the moving parts of the machine.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes... there is a grease fitting but I can't get any grease in. I took the grease fitting out and sprayed PB Blaster into the hole. I also sprayed PB Blaster all over the portions of the pin I can get to and I took the small inspection plate off the back and sprayed PB Blaster on everything I could see and even some stuff I couldn't see. Still no good. I've hit the pin (3/4 socket over the in) so hard with the sledge hammer that I shattered the socket but the pin just sits there refusing to budge. I'm out of ideas. I guess the next step is heat but I'd really rather not make the metal cherry red with as much grease as I've got all over the moving parts of the machine.
Some times soaking with a good penetrating oil can help get them loose, have you tried hitting it from the other side too? see if you can break the seal. Make sure you use a soft hammer or a buffer like you did, the pins may be super hard and shatter.
Sadly, when they are stuck, they can be horrible to get moving again, heat may be the only option.

OP
OP
Jyuma

Jyuma

Some times soaking with a good penetrating oil can help get them loose, have you tried hitting it from the other side too? see if you can break the seal. Make sure you use a soft hammer or a buffer like you did, the pins may be super hard and shatter.
Sadly, when they are stuck, they can be horrible to get moving again, heat may be the only option.
Yes... I've tried placing a short piece of hardwood against the other side of the pin (through the inspection plate) and hitting it as hard as I dare trying to drive the pin out a little and then again from the outside back in. Still no good. I re-sprayed PB Buster all over everything again and I'll let it soak overnight and try again in the morning. It's hard to believe that the pin can get so stuck that even the massive force of a sledgehammer can't break it loose. Thank you so much for your advice… it helps just to be able to talk with someone about the problem.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes... I've tried placing a short piece of hardwood against the other side of the pin (through the inspection plate) and hitting it as hard as I dare trying to drive the pin out a little and then again from the outside back in. Still no good. I re-sprayed PB Buster all over everything again and I'll let it soak overnight and try again in the morning. It's hard to believe that the pin can get so stuck that even the massive force of a sledgehammer can't break it loose. Thank you so much for your advice… it helps just to be able to talk with someone about the problem.
Sadly i know your pain, i have been there.... My ending wasn't so good, i had to cut the pin boss out and make new ones, they were that stuck! like that when i got it though.
I'm surprised it locked up so fast, it usually takes years for them to get so stuck a hammer can't rattle them free. I hope you have more luck than i did.

skidsteer.ca

Sadly i know your pain, i have been there.... My ending wasn't so good, i had to cut the pin boss out and make new ones, they were that stuck! like that when i got it though.
I'm surprised it locked up so fast, it usually takes years for them to get so stuck a hammer can't rattle them free. I hope you have more luck than i did.
As last resorts, you make try making up a hydraulic hose that will screw in where the grease nipple is and putting hydraulic pressure from the loaders couplers to it.
Also before cutting the quick attach appart could it be removed and set up in a press to push the pin up? It is surprizing the differece between hammering which tends to mushroom the pin and what a even 50 tons of force can do.
Ken

OP
OP
Jyuma

Jyuma

As last resorts, you make try making up a hydraulic hose that will screw in where the grease nipple is and putting hydraulic pressure from the loaders couplers to it.
Also before cutting the quick attach appart could it be removed and set up in a press to push the pin up? It is surprizing the differece between hammering which tends to mushroom the pin and what a even 50 tons of force can do.
Ken
Update...
The pin is out, but it didn't really survive the incident unscathed.
First I had to cut an inch off the end of the pin. (I saved the slug). This enabled me to get the bucket off.
Next I used a torch and heated the collar the pin slides thru to cherry red. Once heated I went for the 10 Lb. sledge but no joy trying to drive the pin in. I then removed all the linkages along with the other pin (left side as you face the loader). This gave me a clear channel thru the Quick Latch and access to the back of the stuck pin. I then inserted a 1/2" steel pipe thru the left pin channel all the way to the back of the stuck pin. After heating the collar to cherry again I drove the stuck pin from behind, which of course completely destroyed the two welded tabs on the back of the pin where it attached to the linkage but at this point I didn't really care... I just wanted that pin out.
After repeated heavy blows with the sledge, the pin moved out about 1/2" . I soaked as much of the pin as I could with PB Buster and then drove the pin back in from the now blunt end (where I cut it off) of the pin. I continued knocking the pin in and out this way and finally... out it came.
emotion-1.gif

Now into the shop for some welding. I ground a "V" groove in the cut-off end of the pin and the slug and welded the slug back onto the pin and ground it smooth. I then cut two new tabs from 1/8" x 3/4" flat steel stock and welded them to the backside of the pin. Over to the drill press for some holes in the tabs and wadaya know... a new (repaired) locking pin.
All new hardware... the lock nuts and bolts used to connect the linkages... and the Quick Tach is back in action. I love it when a plan comes together.
emotion-1.gif

Tazza

Staff member
Update...
The pin is out, but it didn't really survive the incident unscathed.
First I had to cut an inch off the end of the pin. (I saved the slug). This enabled me to get the bucket off.
Next I used a torch and heated the collar the pin slides thru to cherry red. Once heated I went for the 10 Lb. sledge but no joy trying to drive the pin in. I then removed all the linkages along with the other pin (left side as you face the loader). This gave me a clear channel thru the Quick Latch and access to the back of the stuck pin. I then inserted a 1/2" steel pipe thru the left pin channel all the way to the back of the stuck pin. After heating the collar to cherry again I drove the stuck pin from behind, which of course completely destroyed the two welded tabs on the back of the pin where it attached to the linkage but at this point I didn't really care... I just wanted that pin out.
After repeated heavy blows with the sledge, the pin moved out about 1/2" . I soaked as much of the pin as I could with PB Buster and then drove the pin back in from the now blunt end (where I cut it off) of the pin. I continued knocking the pin in and out this way and finally... out it came.
Now into the shop for some welding. I ground a "V" groove in the cut-off end of the pin and the slug and welded the slug back onto the pin and ground it smooth. I then cut two new tabs from 1/8" x 3/4" flat steel stock and welded them to the backside of the pin. Over to the drill press for some holes in the tabs and wadaya know... a new (repaired) locking pin.
All new hardware... the lock nuts and bolts used to connect the linkages... and the Quick Tach is back in action. I love it when a plan comes together.
Glad you had a happy ending to the story. They sure can lock up pretty tight!