1986 melroe 743 or 742

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

asp3211968

i am new here and i am trying to get info on a skidsteer that i bought site unseen. the machine has 3000 hrs and was told it runs fine needs a batt. how are these vehicles and what are precautions and what need maintenace. thanks for the help in advance

Tazza

Staff member
The easy way to tell them apart is the 743 has a 4 cylinder Kubota, the 742 uses a Ford petrol engine.
For a 743, some people say to change engine oil every 200 hours but my manual says 50. It never hurts to change the oil an filters more often. Make sure you use diesel engine grade oil!! not just standard car engine oil.
If you just bought it, i'd start by replacing the hydraulic filter and the oil. I would do the engine oil and filter too.
It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter.
Grease all pivot points and you should be set.
Any problems or questions just ask, these are very simple machines to work on.

OP
OP
A

asp3211968

The easy way to tell them apart is the 743 has a 4 cylinder Kubota, the 742 uses a Ford petrol engine.
For a 743, some people say to change engine oil every 200 hours but my manual says 50. It never hurts to change the oil an filters more often. Make sure you use diesel engine grade oil!! not just standard car engine oil.
If you just bought it, i'd start by replacing the hydraulic filter and the oil. I would do the engine oil and filter too.
It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter.
Grease all pivot points and you should be set.
Any problems or questions just ask, these are very simple machines to work on.
i guess it is a 743 i was told it is a diesel. the mait should be no problem for me and im glad it is a simple machine. i paid 4500 for the machine is that a fair price for this machine in running condition. this machine belong to the school board and was used during there field improvments. are the parts hard to fine and does anybody make aftermarket parts

Tazza

Staff member
i guess it is a 743 i was told it is a diesel. the mait should be no problem for me and im glad it is a simple machine. i paid 4500 for the machine is that a fair price for this machine in running condition. this machine belong to the school board and was used during there field improvments. are the parts hard to fine and does anybody make aftermarket parts
Just to be difficult, there was 1 other with a diesel engine, the 741 ran an air cooled Deutz engine but i would suspect it was the 743.
Depending on what you need there are some parts available after market. All engine parts are available as are drive chains, axle bearings and seals, seats, lights, ram seals, filters, hoses.
I'm sure there are more, but thats what i personally know.
The pumps and motors are available but i haven't had to look for these yet.

OP
OP
A

asp3211968

Just to be difficult, there was 1 other with a diesel engine, the 741 ran an air cooled Deutz engine but i would suspect it was the 743.
Depending on what you need there are some parts available after market. All engine parts are available as are drive chains, axle bearings and seals, seats, lights, ram seals, filters, hoses.
I'm sure there are more, but thats what i personally know.
The pumps and motors are available but i haven't had to look for these yet.
what are the different types of oils the machine might take. i know to use engine oil for diesel eng. but what does the hyraulics use. are the hyd filters expensive and how hi can i reach with this 743

skidsteer.ca

what are the different types of oils the machine might take. i know to use engine oil for diesel eng. but what does the hyraulics use. are the hyd filters expensive and how hi can i reach with this 743
Most run 10w 30 motor oil everywhere, chaincase, hydraulics and engine.
You can run a cheaper 10/30 in the hyd and chaincase if you like.
Diesel rated for engine. Lift height is around 9 feet. Not sure on the cost of hyd filters but they are not too expensive, say @ 30 usd
Regards
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Most run 10w 30 motor oil everywhere, chaincase, hydraulics and engine.
You can run a cheaper 10/30 in the hyd and chaincase if you like.
Diesel rated for engine. Lift height is around 9 feet. Not sure on the cost of hyd filters but they are not too expensive, say @ 30 usd
Regards
Ken
As Ken said, use standard car engine oil in the hydraulics and chain case. 10W30 10W40 i'm starting to use 20W50 because its cheap. Just don't use hydraulic oil, its too thin.
9' reach sounds about rite, but remember this machine has radial lift, so the higher you go the further back the bucket sits. At full height you will almost be dropping dirt on your lap.
Engine oil filters are cheap as, i got a few purolator ones and they were dirt cheap yet they were made in USA. As for the hydraulics, the price from the dealer is pretty close to aftermarket ones.

Fishfiles

As Ken said, use standard car engine oil in the hydraulics and chain case. 10W30 10W40 i'm starting to use 20W50 because its cheap. Just don't use hydraulic oil, its too thin.
9' reach sounds about rite, but remember this machine has radial lift, so the higher you go the further back the bucket sits. At full height you will almost be dropping dirt on your lap.
Engine oil filters are cheap as, i got a few purolator ones and they were dirt cheap yet they were made in USA. As for the hydraulics, the price from the dealer is pretty close to aftermarket ones.
The engine oil in the hydraulics has been used by a bunch of manufactures for years and makes it easy to not have to have all different kinds of oil on hand -----but it is more expensive than hydraulic oil and Bobcat came out witha bulletin about 2 years ago now that they recommend hydraulic oil and not motor oil in the hydraulic tanks , they reason was that the new motor oils of today have additives in them that are not friendly to the hydraulic components and seals , of course Bobcat reccomends that you use the Bobcat brand oil , but I have never seen a failure that was attributed to bad oil yet , as long as you use a good quality oil you will save money and be ok

Russell

If it means anything, the 742 B has a Mitsubishi 4 cyl gas engine. As a new Bobcat owner you would be smart to invest in a parts manual and service manual for your machine. There is a guy with a funny name (wizard ???) on ebay who sells these manuals for many machines. They are just photocopies of the original, but they are good copies, and they are not an aftermarket product like Haynes or Chilton, etc. I was a newbie a year ago. Those manuals and regular visits to this website have been very helpful.

Tazza

Staff member
If it means anything, the 742 B has a Mitsubishi 4 cyl gas engine. As a new Bobcat owner you would be smart to invest in a parts manual and service manual for your machine. There is a guy with a funny name (wizard ???) on ebay who sells these manuals for many machines. They are just photocopies of the original, but they are good copies, and they are not an aftermarket product like Haynes or Chilton, etc. I was a newbie a year ago. Those manuals and regular visits to this website have been very helpful.
I got mine from "the manual source" his name on e-bay is maxxwedge.
Check prices with him and also check with your dealer. I got mine off e-bay for less than 1/2 what my dealer wanted but i also live in Australia. I have heard some dealers are actually cheaper than on e-bay. It will only cost you a phone call, have your serial number handy so they give you the rite series manual.

Latest posts