1845C Fuel Leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Seamonkeyboy

Ok at the risk of sounding crazy here it goes. I saw fuel leaking from around where the fuel line attaches to the tank (bottom left side rear of machine). I could see the leak looking from above in between the engine, which appeared to be coming from where it clamps on the outlet. When I attempted to physically touch the leak from the rear hatch, it felt like it was coming from the floor upward. Is this even possible? Here is the best pic I could get.

Attachments

• 20230423_121505.jpg
    20230423_121505.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 73

brdgbldr

I'm not familiar with your machine but I have seen fuel coming up from the top of a fuel tank. There was a hole in the top of the tank, so when the operator filled it, the hole let all of the air out that would normally be trapped in the top of the tank. This allowed the tank to be overfilled and then the fuel from the fill tube created enough pressure that the fuel was squirting up out of the tank.

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

I'm not familiar with your machine but I have seen fuel coming up from the top of a fuel tank. There was a hole in the top of the tank, so when the operator filled it, the hole let all of the air out that would normally be trapped in the top of the tank. This allowed the tank to be overfilled and then the fuel from the fill tube created enough pressure that the fuel was squirting up out of the tank.
Ok thanks I am hoping its not a leak from the tank. Of course I can find anything on where the tank ends. Hopefully it doesn't extend to the floor

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

I have a new line and will be putting it in today. We will see if it was an optical allusion and just maybe it was bouncing from the floor upward.

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

Update: I put a new fuel line in and it is still leaking somewhere. I pulled the radiator off. I will refuel tomorrow at first light and try to find the leak now that I have a better view. My fear is that the tank is leaking.

billyb

Update: I put a new fuel line in and it is still leaking somewhere. I pulled the radiator off. I will refuel tomorrow at first light and try to find the leak now that I have a better view. My fear is that the tank is leaking.
The tank is part of the frame it is not something seperate that can be removed. It is fairly heavy steel but could possibly have a rust hole near the bottom where dirt could accumulate and hold moisture. I would pressure wash it out good in that bottom corner. Dry it and then look for a leak. Maybe the nipple on the tank is cracked where the hose goes on?

billyb

The tank is part of the frame it is not something seperate that can be removed. It is fairly heavy steel but could possibly have a rust hole near the bottom where dirt could accumulate and hold moisture. I would pressure wash it out good in that bottom corner. Dry it and then look for a leak. Maybe the nipple on the tank is cracked where the hose goes on?
Actually you have a valve threaded into the tank that the hose connects to. Did you wipe it off and check the valve itself for leakage? That would be an easy fix!

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

Actually you have a valve threaded into the tank that the hose connects to. Did you wipe it off and check the valve itself for leakage? That would be an easy fix!
Thanks for the advice. Ill check it out as soon as the rain stops. Ill clean it real good. I have a clear view now without the radiator in the way. Ill post a pic of what I find.

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

I found it. A small leak in the corner. I have a guy who can weld but I really don't want the machine going up in flames. JB weld? Any other suggestions.

Attachments

• 20230426_124825.jpg
    20230426_124825.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 59

brdgbldr

JB Weld TankWeld Kit. You have to make sure the fuel is below the leak and clean real well with acetone or something that leaves no residue. You will also need to remove the paint arround the area.

Being a former welder, there are methods for welding diesel tanks but I still would try the JB Weld first.

Also, I assume this is a rust through. Who knows how big that hole will be after you clean it up enough to do anything. Let's hope it's just a pin hole and you don't need to do a major repair to the tank.

My prayers are with you.

OP
OP
S

Seamonkeyboy

JB Weld TankWeld Kit. You have to make sure the fuel is below the leak and clean real well with acetone or something that leaves no residue. You will also need to remove the paint arround the area.

Being a former welder, there are methods for welding diesel tanks but I still would try the JB Weld first.

Also, I assume this is a rust through. Who knows how big that hole will be after you clean it up enough to do anything. Let's hope it's just a pin hole and you don't need to do a major repair to the tank.

My prayers are with you.
Thank you so much. I will go with the kit. I wasn't aware they had one specifically for the tanks-good suggestion. I read a bunch on the welding today. Lots of prep to make it safe.

foton

if you think the metal is thick enough to hold a thread use a fine thread pan screw or bolt would be better even with a tight fitting flat washer,coat it in jb weld put it in place and then cover that area with more epoxy. make sure it is clean and ruffed up. if you could get the tank out I also would suggest the use of red kote fuel tank sealer.

Latest posts