1840 Parking Brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mike12

While moving hay yesterday the plastic bushing on the right side lap bar came off and allowed the parking brake to try and engage while I was moving full speed. I used a vice grip to disengage the brake and keep it there.But now when I make any type of right hand turn sounds like something is binding and you can feel a clicking on the floor board on the right hand side. I'm guessing I will need to do some type of repair on the parking brake??? But I have no Idea what needs to be taken apart to get at this area any help is greatly appreciated. I also am wondering how to access the chain case to check the oil levels this is a 1993 1840 I have the operators manual that shows the small inspection covers inside the cab but do not see them in mine do I need to remove the rops to check them?? also between the wheels on each side is a round cover about 8 inches with six bolts can I remove these to inspect chain cases??? looking at an exploded view of this cover in the parts manual appears to be a lot of parts behind this cover and I do not want to have parts come out that I have no Idea how to put back in any idea if by removing this cover to check the chain cases I'm making a lot of extra work and $$$$ for myself. Thanks Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Anyone????
I didn't reply because i have never worked on one. Its possible that when the brake came on at full speed that something sheared or bent causing the noise you can hear and feel. If the setup is like Bobcat machines, all the brake aprts are attached to the metal plate you are talking about. I don't believe they would make it extra complicated making it really hard to remove and replace. The main parts should be mounted to the underside of the plate.
Sorry i can't be more help.

CASE 1840

I didn't reply because i have never worked on one. Its possible that when the brake came on at full speed that something sheared or bent causing the noise you can hear and feel. If the setup is like Bobcat machines, all the brake aprts are attached to the metal plate you are talking about. I don't believe they would make it extra complicated making it really hard to remove and replace. The main parts should be mounted to the underside of the plate.
Sorry i can't be more help.
Early machines don't have inspection covers above the wheels, only the later ones do. Early machines used large cut outs where the wheels bolt on to clear the drive sprockets during removal while the later ones the sprockets came out the covers. Something was bent during the parking brake apply. At some point in a prior life, mine had a parking brake apply causing the area where the parking pin goes through the chain case to crack and bend. It was rewelded but I'll need to touch it up and install a proper pin. Take a look at the parts break down at the main Case NA site or Messicks. The front sprocket has holes in it to allow the parking pin to poke through. ( Yes, a full speed parking apply is a very bad thing. ) You will have to take it apart to fix before other damage is done. To check the oil in the chain case, there is a plug down low between the wheels. Not the one in the round 6 bolt cover, that one looks to be where you would poke a rod through during drive motor removal to prevent the small sprocket from falling down. The oil drain is on the bottom towards the rear. I don't know what type of oil shoild go in the chain case. ( Anyone know? I need to check mine ) Near as I can tell it is not tied to the hydraulic system because the sight glass level is much higher than the chain case checking plug.

CASE 1840

Early machines don't have inspection covers above the wheels, only the later ones do. Early machines used large cut outs where the wheels bolt on to clear the drive sprockets during removal while the later ones the sprockets came out the covers. Something was bent during the parking brake apply. At some point in a prior life, mine had a parking brake apply causing the area where the parking pin goes through the chain case to crack and bend. It was rewelded but I'll need to touch it up and install a proper pin. Take a look at the parts break down at the main Case NA site or Messicks. The front sprocket has holes in it to allow the parking pin to poke through. ( Yes, a full speed parking apply is a very bad thing. ) You will have to take it apart to fix before other damage is done. To check the oil in the chain case, there is a plug down low between the wheels. Not the one in the round 6 bolt cover, that one looks to be where you would poke a rod through during drive motor removal to prevent the small sprocket from falling down. The oil drain is on the bottom towards the rear. I don't know what type of oil shoild go in the chain case. ( Anyone know? I need to check mine ) Near as I can tell it is not tied to the hydraulic system because the sight glass level is much higher than the chain case checking plug.
For some reason, paragraphs didn't work in the above post. Did this pargraph test work?

OP
OP
M

Mike12

Thanks guys got it fixed pain in the but to fix. The chain cases use 6 quarts of 10-30 motor oil per side

Bossjake

I'll scan in an post the pages from the service manual that apply over the weekend if I don't get tied up with other stuff.
Mike12: I'm having a problem with my right parking brake on my early model 1840. Can you give me a general rundown on the process of removing the parking pin? Did you end up removing your wheel hub for access to the sprocket? Thanks, bossjake.

OP
OP
M

Mike12

Mike12: I'm having a problem with my right parking brake on my early model 1840. Can you give me a general rundown on the process of removing the parking pin? Did you end up removing your wheel hub for access to the sprocket? Thanks, bossjake.
Pull out the floor plate locate the rubber boot that goes over where the parking brake pin gets inserted into the sprocket. Disconnect the cable then remove the U shaped pin that the holds the pin assembly in place. Remove the pin asse4mbly and see what needs fixing. Is your brake not releasing ??? Check to make sure the pin that runs to the cable has not backed out of the parking brake pin if it has disassemble clean put back in with red loctice. May take a couple of tries to get the pin in far enough so that it will release properly. Make sure you grease the pin assemble or it will stick and not pop out properly and release the brake. Also if some of the parts are shot on the assembly case has a rebuild kit for around 40 bucks.