1835B case skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Roy Brown

The skid steer starts good but won't rev up, no matter how far you push the accelerator lever down. The exhaust is a grayish white in color and doesn't clear out even after running for a while.I'm thinking that one or more of the injectors are bad.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes I have changed the air and fuel filters.
If it starts well, i can't see it being an injector. Bad injectors make engines a pig to get started and they will always smoke, not just when you try and get them to rev up.
Can you try moving the linkage at the motor its self? see if that changes anything.

OP
OP
R

Roy Brown

If it starts well, i can't see it being an injector. Bad injectors make engines a pig to get started and they will always smoke, not just when you try and get them to rev up.
Can you try moving the linkage at the motor its self? see if that changes anything.
The linkage at the motor moves freely and didn't change anything.

Tazza

Staff member
The linkage at the motor moves freely and didn't change anything.
Do you know the model of engine your machine has?
It's almost as if the govenor isn't allowing it to rev up or something on the injector pump isn't allowing it to increase the amount of fuel being delivered to the injectors.
If you still think it could be an injector, you can do a quick/messy test by removing them and hooking one up to the pump sitting outside of the engine. Crank and see what the spreay pattern is.

Gearclash

Do you know the model of engine your machine has?
It's almost as if the govenor isn't allowing it to rev up or something on the injector pump isn't allowing it to increase the amount of fuel being delivered to the injectors.
If you still think it could be an injector, you can do a quick/messy test by removing them and hooking one up to the pump sitting outside of the engine. Crank and see what the spreay pattern is.
Very good chance the check valve in the pump leak-off return line is plugged. It is the fitting screwed into the top of the pump, there is a tee on top of it that the injector leak-off is plumbed into. In that first fitting is a spring and glass check ball. That spring acts as a filter for bits of debris that come from the disintegrating governor damper. As the fitting plugs the engine will gradually lose power, exhaust will make your eyes water. If it gets completely plugged, engine will die. Typical symptom is that engine will start and run decent for a short time then lose power. Common vice of the Roosa DB pumps.

Gearclash

Very good chance the check valve in the pump leak-off return line is plugged. It is the fitting screwed into the top of the pump, there is a tee on top of it that the injector leak-off is plumbed into. In that first fitting is a spring and glass check ball. That spring acts as a filter for bits of debris that come from the disintegrating governor damper. As the fitting plugs the engine will gradually lose power, exhaust will make your eyes water. If it gets completely plugged, engine will die. Typical symptom is that engine will start and run decent for a short time then lose power. Common vice of the Roosa DB pumps.
Need to correct, the tee on top of offending check valve does NOT have the injector leak-off line, that is farther up the line. Tee on top of check valve has a cap on one side.

Howard L

Hi. I have the clogging at the tee issue mentioned above. I wanted to mention that my smoke is black. It will definitely burn your eyes. I have removed the tee and blown out the debris several times over the last couple of years (don't use loader that much) and that does the trick. I think I can go longer between cleanings over the last year. Maybe it's all better:)

mikweb73

i have a case 1835c that takes about 5 seconds or more cranking to start and only runs a little faster than the starter ,for as long as the key is in the start position , then as soon as i release the key to run position it cuts off and winds down. it seems to run and smoke the same whether throttle is full or 10%.
i ran a bypass direct from battery to cut off solenoid with no change in results. cleaned the air filter which was fairly good anyway for no change in result. had fuel flowing out the fuel return tee on top of the fuel pump until i put the hose back on. i am stumped for now . i seems like a fuel problem but can't figure out what is causing it and don't want to tear the engine appart, ...yet.
does the 1835c have the same glass ball check valve ? there seems to be some common symptoms . what else can cause these symptoms?
any useful info is very appreciated . the case manuals don't give much on this topic. thank you.

Bordwell

i have a case 1835c that takes about 5 seconds or more cranking to start and only runs a little faster than the starter ,for as long as the key is in the start position , then as soon as i release the key to run position it cuts off and winds down. it seems to run and smoke the same whether throttle is full or 10%.
i ran a bypass direct from battery to cut off solenoid with no change in results. cleaned the air filter which was fairly good anyway for no change in result. had fuel flowing out the fuel return tee on top of the fuel pump until i put the hose back on. i am stumped for now . i seems like a fuel problem but can't figure out what is causing it and don't want to tear the engine appart, ...yet.
does the 1835c have the same glass ball check valve ? there seems to be some common symptoms . what else can cause these symptoms?
any useful info is very appreciated . the case manuals don't give much on this topic. thank you.
I have a 1840 with same problem. It turned out to be electrical. I just use a bungee to hold the fuel pump open. Runs fine. I assume as I start it, it opens and when I let go of the key no current to the solenoid and the machine shuts down.

Howard L

I imagine the C has the glass ball too. It'd be worth a check, pretty easy to take the tee off.
If that was the problem though, it should have gradually gotten that bad and you would have seen the smoke, but maybe you got a big chunk lodged in the opening that blocked it off instantly.
It does sound like you're starving for fuel though. If you loosen a line at an injector you should see fuel squirt out as it cranks. If they squirt nicely next would be the injectors themselves I think. But I don't know that much so...

mikweb73

i got about a month ago at an auction for about $4200 . so i dont know what previously was its symptoms or problems. but i think it was left out in the weather for several years .when i got it had 6 inches of manure compost caked in the bottom, something was nesting in it. no coolant , flat tires, no hydraulic fluid , cracked fan belt , leaky coolant hoses. rotted out hydraulic hoses , shorted out and blown wires , the electrical panel did not work and did not even crank , and the controls were rusted in place frozen. alternator was trash , etc etc.etc...... almost suprised it even starts at all. . put in a lot of work last month and got everything functioning so far except for the fuel problem , hopefully the last problem .

mikweb73

a couple pics of it .

Attachments

• 20220903_130640.jpg
    20220903_130640.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220917_185033.jpg
    20220917_185033.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts