12 X 16.5 tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bandit1047

Can I put 12 X 16.5 tires with 12 plys and 6000 lb. load rating on a machine that came with 14 X 17.5 tires? WITH AN EXPLINATION PLEASE
THANKS

Fishfiles

I think 14x17.5 sounds like 9 series tires and they were 10 lug rims with huge lug holes and over sized lug nuts ( almost like a Budd wheel lug ) , 12x16.5 were 8 lugs

OP
OP
B

Bandit1047

I think 14x17.5 sounds like 9 series tires and they were 10 lug rims with huge lug holes and over sized lug nuts ( almost like a Budd wheel lug ) , 12x16.5 were 8 lugs
The 14 X17.5 rims are 8 lug 8 Inch bolt pattern with a 6 inch center hole and a 5/8 stud.
I think that is typical of 12 X 16.5 rim. so getting the wheels and tire to fit is not the issue.
Will they support the machine is the question.

TriHonu

The 14 X17.5 rims are 8 lug 8 Inch bolt pattern with a 6 inch center hole and a 5/8 stud.
I think that is typical of 12 X 16.5 rim. so getting the wheels and tire to fit is not the issue.
Will they support the machine is the question.
Bandit1047, you have asked a question without providing any of the critical information necessary to answer it.
1. What loader do you have, what does it weigh and what is its rated load capacity?
2. What is the load rating on the tires you currently have?
3. What is the load rating on the tires you are looking at?
The answer to your question has two parts:
1. What will physically fit on your loader.
2. What tires have the load rating to support both the loader and its rated load safely.

OP
OP
B

Bandit1047

Bandit1047, you have asked a question without providing any of the critical information necessary to answer it.
1. What loader do you have, what does it weigh and what is its rated load capacity?
2. What is the load rating on the tires you currently have?
3. What is the load rating on the tires you are looking at?
The answer to your question has two parts:
1. What will physically fit on your loader.
2. What tires have the load rating to support both the loader and its rated load safely.
My skid steer weighs 10,500 lbs. However, I have an implement that weighs 2,500 lbs. bringing this beast up to 13,000 pounds working weight.I have Airless tires so the load rating is not marked and I think it is inconsequential since I am asking about pneumatic tires, a totally different animal. 14 X 17.5 pneumatic tires are normally rated at 6000 to 8000 lbs.
I am also considering going to a Military 15 X 19.5 tire and skipping the tracks. These 12 or 14 ply tires can be deflated in soft soil and give great floatation in mud or sand. They have a load rating of 9,800 lbs. my main concern is that they can take the skidding action of this monster. I believe that the aspect ratio of a 14 X 17.5 and a 15 X 19.5 is the same My airless tires are 36 inches high and these tires are 38 inches high, just clearing the lift arms. Any comments would be appreciated.

TriHonu

My skid steer weighs 10,500 lbs. However, I have an implement that weighs 2,500 lbs. bringing this beast up to 13,000 pounds working weight.I have Airless tires so the load rating is not marked and I think it is inconsequential since I am asking about pneumatic tires, a totally different animal. 14 X 17.5 pneumatic tires are normally rated at 6000 to 8000 lbs.
I am also considering going to a Military 15 X 19.5 tire and skipping the tracks. These 12 or 14 ply tires can be deflated in soft soil and give great floatation in mud or sand. They have a load rating of 9,800 lbs. my main concern is that they can take the skidding action of this monster. I believe that the aspect ratio of a 14 X 17.5 and a 15 X 19.5 is the same My airless tires are 36 inches high and these tires are 38 inches high, just clearing the lift arms. Any comments would be appreciated.
Do you know the Rated Operating Capacity (ROC) of your loader?
By SAE Standards, the Tipping Load is the load weight where the loader will tip over forward while sitting on level ground. The ROC is 1/2 the Tipping Load.
The (Weight of the loader + the Tipping Load) equals the max load you will have on the front two tires. You need each tire rated to carry at least 1/2 of this load.
For Example:
You have something similar to a 963; 9900 lbs operating weight and a ROC of 3000 lbs.
(9900 lbs + 6000 lbs) / 2 = 7950 lbs on each front tire at Tip Load.
So 8000 lbs rated tires minimum.

A quick look online at pneumatic skidsteer tires shows you can get 14x17.5 tires rated for this load. The highest I saw in a 12x16.5 was 6780 lbs.

TriHonu

Are you referring to the old straight bar tread tires or the newer styles?
I would also be concerned with the strength of the sidewalls on the old straight bar tread tires. They may be cheap, but they don't have much rubber in the sidewalls. In addition, the rubber compound was hard and traction was poor.

Fishfiles

Are you referring to the old straight bar tread tires or the newer styles?
I would also be concerned with the strength of the sidewalls on the old straight bar tread tires. They may be cheap, but they don't have much rubber in the sidewalls. In addition, the rubber compound was hard and traction was poor.
what brand skidsteerloader is it

OP
OP
B

Bandit1047

what brand skidsteerloader is it
Machine: Mustang 2109
10,500 curb weight + 3900 lbs. tipping load divided by 2 = 1,950 + 1/2 of machine weight (5,250lbs.) = 7,200 lb. load carrying capacity per tire needed.
I found 15 X 19.5 tires with a load capacity of 9,700 lbs. at 65 PSI air pressure and they can be deflated to 35 PSI if needed for traction in sand or mud. They drop to a load capacity of 9,000 lbs. at 35 PSI.
These are skid steer tires for monster machines, I just don't know all the ramification of going to this size tire.
At maximum air pressure (85lbs.) they are rated at 10,100 lbs.
ANY INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks in advance for any intelligent comments or suggestions.
Joe

Fishfiles

10,500 curb weight + 3900 lbs. tipping load divided by 2 = 1,950 + 1/2 of machine weight (5,250lbs.) = 7,200 lb. load carrying capacity per tire needed.
I found 15 X 19.5 tires with a load capacity of 9,700 lbs. at 65 PSI air pressure and they can be deflated to 35 PSI if needed for traction in sand or mud. They drop to a load capacity of 9,000 lbs. at 35 PSI.
These are skid steer tires for monster machines, I just don't know all the ramification of going to this size tire.
Joe
I figured it wasn't a Bobcat when you discribed your rims as being 8 lug and not 10 ...... maybe the post should be in the Mustang catagory

OP
OP
B

Bandit1047

I figured it wasn't a Bobcat when you discribed your rims as being 8 lug and not 10 ...... maybe the post should be in the Mustang catagory
I purposely tried to avoid the make of my machine so that the moderator would not stick it into the Mustang column where it got no responses the last time I asked the question.
I realize that 95% of the guys on this forum run Bobcats and I don't hold that against them.
I value their input and experience with skid steers and I was hoping someone would share their tire knowledge with me.
I am trying to avoid going to large heavy tracks that I must change out when running on my asphalt driveway. I am always working alone and at age 66 installing tracks for 14 X17.5 tires alone is an all day job with a crane and more ass than I've got. I curse the day I bought a tire machine instead of a tracked one.
By the way, I have yet to find a Bobcat with a 10 lug wheel, must be some older machines that I am not familiar with.

TriHonu

Joe
Joe,
the specs I found online for your loader state an operating weight of 10,520 lbs, ROC of 3850 lbs and a Tipping Load of 7700.
Which puts the max load on each front tire at 9110 lbs.
That still puts the tires you found in the safe zone.
Another issue you may have is a change in the ground clearance. Check the tire heights on what you have vs the tires you are considering.
Changes in ride height also affect the bucket position when the boom is lowered all the way down against the stops. Ideally, with the boom all the way down, you would want the heel of the bucket to just touch the ground with the floor of the bucket sitting flat.
If the heel is above grade, you have to lower the cutting edge to get down to grade. This downward angle will cause the cutting edge to want to dive into the grade as you are cutting.
If the heel is below grade, you will have to be careful to be on the cut grade when you lower the boom and adjust the bucket angle to get back on grade.
The only other issue I can think of with changing tire sizes can be changes to max travel speed.

OP
OP
B

Bandit1047

Joe,
the specs I found online for your loader state an operating weight of 10,520 lbs, ROC of 3850 lbs and a Tipping Load of 7700.
Which puts the max load on each front tire at 9110 lbs.
That still puts the tires you found in the safe zone.
Another issue you may have is a change in the ground clearance. Check the tire heights on what you have vs the tires you are considering.
Changes in ride height also affect the bucket position when the boom is lowered all the way down against the stops. Ideally, with the boom all the way down, you would want the heel of the bucket to just touch the ground with the floor of the bucket sitting flat.
If the heel is above grade, you have to lower the cutting edge to get down to grade. This downward angle will cause the cutting edge to want to dive into the grade as you are cutting.
If the heel is below grade, you will have to be careful to be on the cut grade when you lower the boom and adjust the bucket angle to get back on grade.
The only other issue I can think of with changing tire sizes can be changes to max travel speed.
Thanks for your input!
I mainly use this machine on my farm with a brush mulcher head and plow the snow in winter. I seldom use the bucker to grade or level though I do load & move dirt with it. I don't think the change in height will effect me. When I die the next guy may be looking for new tires, but then I won't care.
My biggest concern is soft dirt, mud and snow. I see these log skidders with wide tires and shallow tread and military vehicles that have less tread than the tires I found, however they have a suspension which makes a world of difference. Spending another $3400. and having lousy traction would spoil my day!