10/30 for Hyd oil?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Roderick

I'm sure that this question has been answered many times over, but being a new owner of a bobcat I just want to make sure that I use the correct hydraulic fluid in my machine. I recently purchased a 2000 863 and i am not sure what hydraulic fluid to use. I've read some of the threads which state that 10w30 can be used, is this true? Additionally, i've been using the 863 for a week straight, checking the fluids every day and all fluids have been OK. Recently, I hooked up a 811 backhoe attachement and now i'm low on hydraulic fluid. Am I right to assume that the attachment needed fluid leaving the machine with not enough? Any info. on this subject is much apreicated.

sterlclan

On both questions the answer is yes I run 10 40 in mine but it is worn pretty good .Jeff

skidsteer.ca

On both questions the answer is yes I run 10 40 in mine but it is worn pretty good .Jeff
Yes, there must have been some air in the hoe, normally connecting an attachment won't change your fluid level.
Nothing but 10/30 goes in my loaders
Ken

OP
OP
R

Roderick

Yes, there must have been some air in the hoe, normally connecting an attachment won't change your fluid level.
Nothing but 10/30 goes in my loaders
Ken
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Now after filling up the hyd. fluid I have two trouble codes to deal with 18-06 and 64-02. I'm looking for a maintence manual for my 863 now to determine what the codes mean. In the meantime if anyone could help me with these codes it would be great. Also, where is the best place to get the manual. Thanks. Rod

sterlclan

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Now after filling up the hyd. fluid I have two trouble codes to deal with 18-06 and 64-02. I'm looking for a maintence manual for my 863 now to determine what the codes mean. In the meantime if anyone could help me with these codes it would be great. Also, where is the best place to get the manual. Thanks. Rod
I have no idea on codes but I got my book on ebay there is a guy with tons wasent bad for price either Jeff

M700man

I have no idea on codes but I got my book on ebay there is a guy with tons wasent bad for price either Jeff
Just to muddy the water a little, I just don't think 10W30 is satisfactory as an hydraulic oil, even though at the moment I am running my 742 with it. Seems to me, that given the pressure and the heat that it goes through, it's quite possibly not getting the job done after several long, hard hours of work. As I have read in several Bobcat factory manuals, the motor oil can be used if "Bobcat Oil" is not available. Having researched this through a local oil dealer, I was told that "Bobcat Oil" is supplied by the lowest bidder. So, perhaps Shell this time, Warren the next, etc. He looked it up in a manual which reccomended Mobil DT15M. I have run this oil in my other Bobcats and got very good performance. However, I don't know if it extended the life of the hydro system. The key with hydraulic oil is that when the machine is cold, the oil should be thin enough to be picked up easily by the pumps and not thin down when it gets hot, as all oils do. So that range is the secret to a quality oil. I can't see this happening with just conventional motor oil. Just my .02. Thanks, John

OP
OP
R

Roderick

Just to muddy the water a little, I just don't think 10W30 is satisfactory as an hydraulic oil, even though at the moment I am running my 742 with it. Seems to me, that given the pressure and the heat that it goes through, it's quite possibly not getting the job done after several long, hard hours of work. As I have read in several Bobcat factory manuals, the motor oil can be used if "Bobcat Oil" is not available. Having researched this through a local oil dealer, I was told that "Bobcat Oil" is supplied by the lowest bidder. So, perhaps Shell this time, Warren the next, etc. He looked it up in a manual which reccomended Mobil DT15M. I have run this oil in my other Bobcats and got very good performance. However, I don't know if it extended the life of the hydro system. The key with hydraulic oil is that when the machine is cold, the oil should be thin enough to be picked up easily by the pumps and not thin down when it gets hot, as all oils do. So that range is the secret to a quality oil. I can't see this happening with just conventional motor oil. Just my .02. Thanks, John
Thanks John. I ended up getting hydraulic oil from Bobcat, because i read somewhere that Bobcat doesn't recommend using 10w30 anymore. Also, they only recommended up to 25% of volume being 10w30.

M700man

Thanks John. I ended up getting hydraulic oil from Bobcat, because i read somewhere that Bobcat doesn't recommend using 10w30 anymore. Also, they only recommended up to 25% of volume being 10w30.
Roderick, Thanks to you as well. I have pondered this very question many times, queried Bobcat mechanics, shop supervisors, etc. as well as read and reread several Bobcat factory manuals. Your info leads me to believe that what they meant to say was that you could ADD 10w30 if the Bobcat oil was not available. That's the key, I believe. Yep, I'll be draining mine in the AM, first thing, but I am going back to the Mobil DT15M. Thanks, John