Source for Weld on Bushings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Steelart99

I have an old Ford CL40 that has a bar assembly to interface to the bucket. That bar assemble has welded on bushings for the pins that index to the tilt cylinder and to the bucket. I need to remove and replace these bushings. Can anyone tell me some sources for these types of bushings? Specifically this is a stepped bushing with a 1" ID bore, a 1-1/2" dia outer bore and a flange that is 2" in diameter (I hope that makes sense). Any help is appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
If you have a lathe or a mad mate with a lathe that you can brige with a few beers would be the ideal way.
Is this something mc master carr would stock or may stock? i know they have all sorts of things.
Is there any reason why it needs to be stepped? is the step to hold a seal?

OP
OP
S

Steelart99

If you have a lathe or a mad mate with a lathe that you can brige with a few beers would be the ideal way.
Is this something mc master carr would stock or may stock? i know they have all sorts of things.
Is there any reason why it needs to be stepped? is the step to hold a seal?
I have to replace 6 of these and just wanted to make it "easy" by just welding in something similar to the original bushings. I have lots of other issues with this thing that I'm trying fix and didn't want to have to make these bushings too. I think the flange is simply a way to keep weld heat from locking down the inner hole (i.e., locking down on the pivot pin) and to give the flange a larger surface to ride on. I'd be welding on the 2" diameter instead of at the 1-1/2" diameter location. I could just weld in a short piece of DOM tubing (1-1/2" OD and 1/4" wall) and be done with it. The original stepped/flanged bushing sits in 1/4" plate and the flange was also 1/4" thick.

Tazza

Staff member
I have to replace 6 of these and just wanted to make it "easy" by just welding in something similar to the original bushings. I have lots of other issues with this thing that I'm trying fix and didn't want to have to make these bushings too. I think the flange is simply a way to keep weld heat from locking down the inner hole (i.e., locking down on the pivot pin) and to give the flange a larger surface to ride on. I'd be welding on the 2" diameter instead of at the 1-1/2" diameter location. I could just weld in a short piece of DOM tubing (1-1/2" OD and 1/4" wall) and be done with it. The original stepped/flanged bushing sits in 1/4" plate and the flange was also 1/4" thick.
That is a possibility, welding heat will dostort the hole a little, but usually there is enough clearance between the pin and bushing to allow for this.
I'm assuning you aren't going to use this machine commercially, so your idea seems like a good plan, quicker and cheaper that way.

OP
OP
S

Steelart99

That is a possibility, welding heat will dostort the hole a little, but usually there is enough clearance between the pin and bushing to allow for this.
I'm assuning you aren't going to use this machine commercially, so your idea seems like a good plan, quicker and cheaper that way.
I found some DOM tubing with 2" OD and 1" ID. I'll just get a 1 foot piece and lathe turn a bunch of bushings. Not the easiest solution ... but "easy" rarely happens. :)

Tazza

Staff member
I found some DOM tubing with 2" OD and 1" ID. I'll just get a 1 foot piece and lathe turn a bunch of bushings. Not the easiest solution ... but "easy" rarely happens. :)
That's easier than the way i generally go. Normally i get lumps of steel that i need to bore out, none of this thinking ahead and getting tube with a hole in it already :)