SkidSteer can do any job!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

walio123

SkidSteer can do any job! These words I have heard many times. I've even seen them written in sites of the brands of these machines.Тhis statement is true, but the question of effectiveness is controversial. Compared to give a few examples. Mowing with yanmar mini tractor 22 hp and Bobcat 873 in thick grass. 8 hours . Tractor mow 20 acres and Bobcat 16. fuel consumption o 15 liters of tractor =of Bobcat 40 l the same is with rototiller - usually mill tractor do 1.5 more job over Bobcat and burns almost 2.5 times less fuel.The same with Snow Plowing narrow streets. On narrow parking lots Bobcat take advantage in speed but fuel consumption i is bigger than the tractor.Not to mention prices of attachments. Skidsteer is designed for work that requires a lot of power , maneuverability and speed of maneuver . If you do not need all this, almost always a way to get the job done much more efficiently.

Tazza

Staff member
They can do lots, they didn't say they can do these jobs better or faster than a purpose built machine.
As for a mower, the cost of a machine plus the slasher attachment would be more expensive too.

SkidRoe

In my case, a lot of it comes down to cost/benefit/space/usage considerations.
Case in point, my Bobtach backhoe:
Is it as good as a mini-excavator? No
Is it as good as a proper skidsteer backhoe attachment? No
Is it better than a shovel? ABSOLUTELY!!
And at the $350 and a week that it took me to build it, I could not possibly get better value for my time / money - FOR MY EXPECTED USAGE - digging out occasional stumps, the occasional trench, digging out cement post footings, etc.
If I was to go into business tomorrow digging in septic tanks, swimming pools, etc., you are darn right that I would be in the market for an excavator. My little attachment would be a lost cause.
Same goes with a lot of the more 'specialty' skidsteer attachments. There will always be a dedicated machine - or combinations of machines- that will do the job faster/better. You really need to examine the business that you are in.
My $0.02 - SR

vinito

In my case, a lot of it comes down to cost/benefit/space/usage considerations.
Case in point, my Bobtach backhoe:
Is it as good as a mini-excavator? No
Is it as good as a proper skidsteer backhoe attachment? No
Is it better than a shovel? ABSOLUTELY!!
And at the $350 and a week that it took me to build it, I could not possibly get better value for my time / money - FOR MY EXPECTED USAGE - digging out occasional stumps, the occasional trench, digging out cement post footings, etc.
If I was to go into business tomorrow digging in septic tanks, swimming pools, etc., you are darn right that I would be in the market for an excavator. My little attachment would be a lost cause.
Same goes with a lot of the more 'specialty' skidsteer attachments. There will always be a dedicated machine - or combinations of machines- that will do the job faster/better. You really need to examine the business that you are in.
My $0.02 - SR
I am so new to having a skidloader that I'm just happy as a clam about all the stuff I've already done, plan to do, plus all the stuff I know it will be used for that I haven't even began to think of yet.. Granted, my purpose is just for my own personal stuff and probably helping friends now and then.
"Is it better than a shovel? ABSOLUTELY!!"
Ain't THAT the truth. Eventually I plan to make myself some kind of backhoe attachment. And to scale it to fit my little bitty machine will be so wimpy compared to a "real" skidloader, but even then it will definitely be better than using a shovel... I think.
I'm sure that purpose-built machines can do things much better & faster. No doubt. But since I'm just piddling arount the property with it I can take my sweet time on projects if I want to because it's my own machine. No hurry to return it to the "rental mob" (Tazza's coinage).
If I had a few million dollars....

mmsllc

I am so new to having a skidloader that I'm just happy as a clam about all the stuff I've already done, plan to do, plus all the stuff I know it will be used for that I haven't even began to think of yet.. Granted, my purpose is just for my own personal stuff and probably helping friends now and then.
"Is it better than a shovel? ABSOLUTELY!!"
Ain't THAT the truth. Eventually I plan to make myself some kind of backhoe attachment. And to scale it to fit my little bitty machine will be so wimpy compared to a "real" skidloader, but even then it will definitely be better than using a shovel... I think.
I'm sure that purpose-built machines can do things much better & faster. No doubt. But since I'm just piddling arount the property with it I can take my sweet time on projects if I want to because it's my own machine. No hurry to return it to the "rental mob" (Tazza's coinage).
If I had a few million dollars....
Any machine that work is better than a shovel = for sure. A skid steer machine can even be found on almost every job-site you see now-a-days, too. But, they an not do EVERYTHING. With all of the added attachments that keep coming out, I do not think it'll be long before they replace an entire crew of laborers / guys. Another thing is the addition of most attachments have made a lot of other specialized machinery OBSOLETE! Just look at a DITCH WITCH with a digging chain; now you can stick one on a BOBCAT & still have loader bucket back on it in absolutely no time flat. With all that said, they can still NOT do EVERYTHING! I think they are getting very close though. Just give it some more time.