New here and need help installing a cab heater in a JD 317????

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jkski

I just came across this site as I was researching how to install an aftermarket cab heater in my 2005 John Deere 317. Specifically, I need to know exacly where to tie into the engine for the coolant supply to feed my heater core? If you have any pics that would be very helpful along with exact specs on the parts needed to tie in. I have everything wired and the heater hoses run back to the engine compartment, so I hope you guys can shed some light on the rest as my dealer has no idea and does not have one on their lot that I can look at for a reference. Thanks in advance.

SkidRoe

Typically, the heater hoses would connect to the water pump (for a supply) and to the head or block (for a return). I found a picture of your engine online that shows a hex-headed plug just above the lower rad hose connection to the water pump - that looks like where you should be picking up coolant. You should be able to find an equivalent plug somewhere on the rear of the head or on the block to connect the return to. HTH.

OP
OP
J

jkski

Typically, the heater hoses would connect to the water pump (for a supply) and to the head or block (for a return). I found a picture of your engine online that shows a hex-headed plug just above the lower rad hose connection to the water pump - that looks like where you should be picking up coolant. You should be able to find an equivalent plug somewhere on the rear of the head or on the block to connect the return to. HTH.
Thanks for the quick reply. Could you by chance pm me the link to the where you found the picture of my engine showing the plug? Thanks again.

SkidRoe

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you by chance pm me the link to the where you found the picture of my engine showing the plug? Thanks again.
I just did a Google Image search for "John Deere 4024T". I was on the first page of images. You will see it.

OP
OP
J

jkski

Thanks again for the advice, I will check it out and see what I can learn.
OK, so I spent some time looking at the engine today after looking at the pics I found online of it and I see the hex head bolt where I can get the positive pressure from however, I could not find a block drain to put the return in to. So, could I simply cut one of the 2" radiator hoses in half, put in a "T" and the appropriate size reducer and dump the return right into that? If so, which radiator hose would I "T" into, the top or bottom? Thanks again for the education and advice.

SkidRoe

OK, so I spent some time looking at the engine today after looking at the pics I found online of it and I see the hex head bolt where I can get the positive pressure from however, I could not find a block drain to put the return in to. So, could I simply cut one of the 2" radiator hoses in half, put in a "T" and the appropriate size reducer and dump the return right into that? If so, which radiator hose would I "T" into, the top or bottom? Thanks again for the education and advice.
Hmmm, I think that I would do some more research before doing that. Do you have a dealer nearby that you could go do some recon at? Even if it is the same engine in a tractor with a cab, doesn't have to be a skidsteer. My local Deere dealer is pretty good at providing free advice. HTH

OP
OP
J

jkski

Hmmm, I think that I would do some more research before doing that. Do you have a dealer nearby that you could go do some recon at? Even if it is the same engine in a tractor with a cab, doesn't have to be a skidsteer. My local Deere dealer is pretty good at providing free advice. HTH
I actually spent a good bit of time at my local dealer and unfortunately, they were of no help. I spoke with a tech at their location who works on the machines and told him what I was looking to do and he said he has never installed a heater as they come already installed from the factory and they did not have anything in stock with a heater that I could look at. Even their engine schematics did not show much of anything. They did say that I could bring the unit to them for install and they would figure it out for me at a labor rate of $80/hour! So, trying to think this thru, what would be the drawback of placing a "T" in the return radiator hose? Do I risk overheating the engine in some fashion?

SkidRoe

I actually spent a good bit of time at my local dealer and unfortunately, they were of no help. I spoke with a tech at their location who works on the machines and told him what I was looking to do and he said he has never installed a heater as they come already installed from the factory and they did not have anything in stock with a heater that I could look at. Even their engine schematics did not show much of anything. They did say that I could bring the unit to them for install and they would figure it out for me at a labor rate of $80/hour! So, trying to think this thru, what would be the drawback of placing a "T" in the return radiator hose? Do I risk overheating the engine in some fashion?
That sucks. Your dealer obviously has a different attitude towards customer service than the one in our area.
It could be that the second heater connection shares a port with a coolant temperature sender, and requires a Tee-fitting to connect. Are there any senders that have a port size similar to the one on the water pump? It may be on the thermostat housing.

OP
OP
J

jkski

That sucks. Your dealer obviously has a different attitude towards customer service than the one in our area.
It could be that the second heater connection shares a port with a coolant temperature sender, and requires a Tee-fitting to connect. Are there any senders that have a port size similar to the one on the water pump? It may be on the thermostat housing.
SkidRoe, first off let me thank you for all of your help and advice, I greatly appreciate it. I did see some sensors that are tapped into the block and did not really consider the option of creating a "T" at that point but I guess I could. I really did not pay attention to the size of the port, I was focused on finding a plug that was not being utilized in any fashion, so it may be time to re-think this. I did not look closely at the thermostat, simply did not think of that either but will look at it now. Thanks again for the great advice, I will take a closer look at those options and see if I can make one work.

SkidRoe

SkidRoe, first off let me thank you for all of your help and advice, I greatly appreciate it. I did see some sensors that are tapped into the block and did not really consider the option of creating a "T" at that point but I guess I could. I really did not pay attention to the size of the port, I was focused on finding a plug that was not being utilized in any fashion, so it may be time to re-think this. I did not look closely at the thermostat, simply did not think of that either but will look at it now. Thanks again for the great advice, I will take a closer look at those options and see if I can make one work.
Hey, no problem on the advice. Let's hope it is worth more than what you paid for it - LOL!!!
One other thought - you may want to consider putting a shut-off in the circuit to prevent coolant from cycling through the heater all the time - specifically, in the summer. This should help aleviate any possibility of the plumbing drawing coolant away from the radiator, and causing an overheat situation.

jerry

Hey, no problem on the advice. Let's hope it is worth more than what you paid for it - LOL!!!
One other thought - you may want to consider putting a shut-off in the circuit to prevent coolant from cycling through the heater all the time - specifically, in the summer. This should help aleviate any possibility of the plumbing drawing coolant away from the radiator, and causing an overheat situation.
the drawing of the heater on the deere site is very poor but it looks like one line has a elbow that goes into a vertical hole and the other has a elbow that fits a horizontal hole. any dealer close by that has one you can look at?

OP
OP
J

jkski

the drawing of the heater on the deere site is very poor but it looks like one line has a elbow that goes into a vertical hole and the other has a elbow that fits a horizontal hole. any dealer close by that has one you can look at?
The shutoffs are a must as I plan to remove the unit during the summer months so that I don't kick it on the way in and out of the cab (mounted on plate between foot pedals). I wired it in with a plug set-up so I can simply unbolt it, unplug it, turn off the shut-off valves and disconnect the hoses, cap the ends and I am all set till the next blast of cold. Jerry, the dealer in my area does not have one unfortunately and they were a little less than helpful. If someone out there has one installed and could take a pic of where their hoses run to, that is all I need to solve the mystery! When I get this done I will take a few pics for anyone who may be looking to do it in the future.

jerry

The shutoffs are a must as I plan to remove the unit during the summer months so that I don't kick it on the way in and out of the cab (mounted on plate between foot pedals). I wired it in with a plug set-up so I can simply unbolt it, unplug it, turn off the shut-off valves and disconnect the hoses, cap the ends and I am all set till the next blast of cold. Jerry, the dealer in my area does not have one unfortunately and they were a little less than helpful. If someone out there has one installed and could take a pic of where their hoses run to, that is all I need to solve the mystery! When I get this done I will take a few pics for anyone who may be looking to do it in the future.
Have you posted this question over on Heavy Equipment forum? Seems there has to be someone with what you need and brands such as Deere have more of a following there.

OP
OP
J

jkski

Have you posted this question over on Heavy Equipment forum? Seems there has to be someone with what you need and brands such as Deere have more of a following there.
Thanks for the advice. I did not know about that site so I am now registered over there and have posted the question. Appreciate all of the help.

OP
OP
J

jkski

Thanks for the advice. I did not know about that site so I am now registered over there and have posted the question. Appreciate all of the help.
Well, I finally got the heater hooked-up and working and thank you to everyone who provided advice. I will take a few pictures later this week and post them here for anyone else who might venture down the same path. Thanks again.

SkidRoe

Well, I finally got the heater hooked-up and working and thank you to everyone who provided advice. I will take a few pictures later this week and post them here for anyone else who might venture down the same path. Thanks again.
Great!! Look forward to seeing the pictures.