Log Splitter project in the works

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1ofU

using more of the forklift for another project the tilt cyclinders for a log splitter , i thought the cyclinder were larger last year when i took them off the mast , they are 25X 1.5 bore i thought they had a 2 inch bore so i wasnt sure if a 1.5 bore would be large enough so i decided to use both cyclinders in this build so it should do the job, this build is going to be so you can run it off the Bobcat as well as mounting it on a T trailer and have quick connects and run it off of a 10 hp motor pump system i will show pics when that part of the project is completed as well , so I'm about 2/3 done with the splitter for the bobcat will show more pics when it up and splitting wood ,, anyway here is some pictures of the project .
i used the mast of the forklift for the splitter beam the inner are 3/4 thick and the outer was 1/2 thick i have it so the splitter assembly can be slid back and forth if it needed any adjustments .
it's turning out to be a heavy hunk of steel .
Jess
 photo DSC01430_zpsfad1040a.jpg

photo DSC01432_zps33fd2e8c.jpg

photo DSC01472_zpsbc08a5e0.jpg

this is a gif of my shop and the build so far .
 photo logspliiter1_zps1f5f8137.gif

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Here is another gif of the build as well as pics of my shop ,
Jess

photo logslitter3_zpsda6e59d8.gif

Tazza

Staff member
Here is another gif of the build as well as pics of my shop ,
Jess
That looks pretty good. You may need to add a little more material on the upper pushing part to prevent it bending, but you'd have to test it to see if it's really needed or not.
With two cylinders, i can't see why you wouldn't be able to split anything you threw at it.
Let's hope it passes the test when you throw the first log on to it :)
I built a gas booster a year or two ago, i thought the material i used would be strong enough, but sadly when i loaded it down, it bent like a banana and tore a few welds off. The added angle iron i added stiffened it up to the point it has a little flex, but that is to be expected with 20 odd tonnes of force.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

That looks pretty good. You may need to add a little more material on the upper pushing part to prevent it bending, but you'd have to test it to see if it's really needed or not.
With two cylinders, i can't see why you wouldn't be able to split anything you threw at it.
Let's hope it passes the test when you throw the first log on to it :)
I built a gas booster a year or two ago, i thought the material i used would be strong enough, but sadly when i loaded it down, it bent like a banana and tore a few welds off. The added angle iron i added stiffened it up to the point it has a little flex, but that is to be expected with 20 odd tonnes of force.
all i need to do now is weld up the 4 way slipover wedge and this is all done except for hose fittings , will pick them up in a day or so , movin on to the T trailer to mount the splitter on when it needs to be mobile ,
1ofU
Jess
 photo logsplitter4_zpsb9abf8e0.gif

Tazza

Staff member
all i need to do now is weld up the 4 way slipover wedge and this is all done except for hose fittings , will pick them up in a day or so , movin on to the T trailer to mount the splitter on when it needs to be mobile ,
1ofU
Jess
I for one, await pictures or better yet, a video of it in action :)

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

I for one, await pictures or better yet, a video of it in action :)
the project is moving along ,the splitter is hooked up to the Bobcat but can only split up to 14 inches long , ive ran the splitter on the top side it will split anything i put in it , on the bottom i have to trim the wedge area down , i'm splitting through 2/3 of a 14X 20 inch log , once i get the bugs worked i will post a video of the unit running , in the mean time the T trailer is about 80% done then i can configure it to run off a 10 horse motor as a pull behind unit .
Jess
 photo logsplitterTtrailer_zpsfbf5f173.gif

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

the project is moving along ,the splitter is hooked up to the Bobcat but can only split up to 14 inches long , ive ran the splitter on the top side it will split anything i put in it , on the bottom i have to trim the wedge area down , i'm splitting through 2/3 of a 14X 20 inch log , once i get the bugs worked i will post a video of the unit running , in the mean time the T trailer is about 80% done then i can configure it to run off a 10 horse motor as a pull behind unit .
Jess
i have the splitter mounted to the T trailer , but this project is on hold , as i have two other builds that i need more than a trailer logsplitter , anyway it splits wood , not perfect but for what i have invested it's good enough for me .
next project a log grapple to pull tree tops out of the timber
and a bolt on bucket grapple both made out of the last 2 cyclinders off of the forklift
the sideshift cyclinder and the back turning cyclinder .
Jess
 photo ttrailermount_zpsf0a548b0.gif

Tazza

Staff member
i have the splitter mounted to the T trailer , but this project is on hold , as i have two other builds that i need more than a trailer logsplitter , anyway it splits wood , not perfect but for what i have invested it's good enough for me .
next project a log grapple to pull tree tops out of the timber
and a bolt on bucket grapple both made out of the last 2 cyclinders off of the forklift
the sideshift cyclinder and the back turning cyclinder .
Jess
Still need a video if it in action :)
Glad it is splitting what you need, i still need to get time to look at making myself one.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
here's a video i made today , got home early ,well before dark temps in the low 30's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRbgQm5Ryag

Jess
Nice job and good work on the video
Shame the stroke on the cylinders wasn't slightly longer though, can you make the rear of the wedges a bit fatter to really open the logs up? You have the thinner part for the initial cut, but if the back was wider it may help.
Didn't even look like it was working hard splitting them. The wood we have over here can be rally hard, so i have no idea on cylinder sizing so it will actually split what i throw at it.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Nice job and good work on the video
Shame the stroke on the cylinders wasn't slightly longer though, can you make the rear of the wedges a bit fatter to really open the logs up? You have the thinner part for the initial cut, but if the back was wider it may help.
Didn't even look like it was working hard splitting them. The wood we have over here can be rally hard, so i have no idea on cylinder sizing so it will actually split what i throw at it.
the more you use it you can see where you need to make adjustment , a wider wedge will be added in the back , it splits anything 12 inches and under at alittle more than idle speed , 1/2 throttle is what ive uesd on the largest ones to go through . maybe some day i can replace the small cyclinders with longer stroke cyclinders , for very little cost it was a good home made project .

Jess

Tazza

Staff member
the more you use it you can see where you need to make adjustment , a wider wedge will be added in the back , it splits anything 12 inches and under at alittle more than idle speed , 1/2 throttle is what ive uesd on the largest ones to go through . maybe some day i can replace the small cyclinders with longer stroke cyclinders , for very little cost it was a good home made project .

Jess
That's always the way, you find little things that could have been done differently. I did the same when i built a gas booster, i didn't know it would have so much power and bend the material it was secured to. Thankfully i managed to weld some angle iron to it to make it strong enough.
As you already noted, you have verly little money in it, and it works, so why change it unless you really need to? That or you get hold of some cheap/free cylinders that are longer.