Help-A-Newby... Go nuts. This time, with tires & wheels

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinito

So keeping with the theme of pipe dreams, another thing which has been kind of a nagging thought since I got my little 8A is the tires. Maybe they are appropriate for the power this puts out and something more "loader-looking" would end up helping to tear itself apart. But it sure seems like it would be better with deeper, bigger tread in both dirt and snow scenes.
Of course the wheels that are on it are odd 13" which you can't find anything for. The tires are 24" or so outside diameter. But I found some small loader tires, with 8-1/2" tread width that are 27" outer diameter. They would be for 15" rims so new wheels would be pretty easy to find for about $200 for a set. Unaltered, this machine would sit too high for those, but it looks like I could fairly easily swing the axles up to sit 1-1/2" higher by simply re-drilling the mounting hole pattern and slotting the center thru-hole, or maybe just torch the whole piece out and weld it back in 1-1/2" higher (doing a proper job of it of course).
In my mind, the advantage of this is that the size something that can be purchased when necessary rather than be so difficult to find, and even then it would basically be some automobile snow tires at best. And of course the tread and contact area might translate to better performance and less turf damage. I could be wrong about the turf damage, the traction and maybe it would be hard on the drive system. I don't know.
But here's what I've got and something that could replace it any day of the week:
 photo tire1.jpg
And here's what I've got on the machine now (P165/80D13):
 photo tire.jpg
So if this is a stupid idea, I can take it. The tires hold the machine up for now and only one of them leaks as far as I know (it lasts a bit over a day before it needs air added thus far). I'm just trying to think ahead I guess.

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

Just for reference, here's a photo I lifted off the net which shows a view inside the frame. It shows the layout of the wheel hubs & chains. Boy I wish mine was this clean. Maybe I can make some space in the garage this year and do a proper total restoration of this baby next winter.
 photo Gehl Progress 001.jpg  photo Gehl Progress4.jpg
anyway, the more I look at it the more I'm deflated into thinking it's OK as it sits, which it is of course. Well if I do that restoration next year, I might revisit this idea. Sorry about my whippersnapper, upstart, wishful thinking time waster of a post.
Don't fix what ain't broke, right?

1ofU

Hello,

i think you would be better , if you would run a lite truck tire either 29-10 or 30-10-15
it would be cheaper and you could run white spoke rims on the machine , the tires
would be cheaper and you could either pick them up at your local Walmart etc...
Jess

farmshop

Hello,

i think you would be better , if you would run a lite truck tire either 29-10 or 30-10-15
it would be cheaper and you could run white spoke rims on the machine , the tires
would be cheaper and you could either pick them up at your local Walmart etc...
Jess
You can look into tires for small front wheel assist tractors. They also make a 6.70/15 traction tires that may work