FNG trying to decide what to buy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ajbelayer

After moving to northern Minnesota with winter approaching and being in way over my head with all the projects around the 3 acre property we're living on reality has set in that I need to bring in some machinery to help, after some research and talking to people a skid steer is what I believe I want. In short I have 3 uses in mind 1) yard landscaping and clean up, ideally something that won't destroy the grass; 2) snow removal from the dirt driveway this winter; 3) moving pallet boxes around the yard/driveway area. I am looking at a Bobcat 440b with all weather kit, 3 buckets and forks, good paint, works good for $7k. Questions: Is this a good price? Will I be happy with a small machine? I know its missing aux hydraulics which I do want for a grapple. Also can put a counterweight or something on the 440b to give is some extra lift/traction when needed? Thanks all! Aaron

Hotrod1830

If you are concerned with yard damage, then stick with the 4XX series. They are light, and very versatile. They can still ruin your grass if your not carefull, but they are less likely to leave ruts due to weight.
As for price, Im not in Northern Minnesota, but around here you can find a 440B for 3000-4500 in decent shape. try to steer clear of machines without auxillary hyrdo's. Most of them have them, and they are much needed to run accessories.
You may want to look into a newer 463. They are a little more money, but they have auxillary hydro's and will run any attachment your local rental company offers for the MT series walk-behind skids. not to mention they are diesel and will have more power.
The older 310,440,443, early 453 uses the old style quick-tach and is not compatible with the new stuff. Meaning, you will have to either find attachments from a older 4XX, or have them made/converted. Not fun.
The smaller machines are capable, but are a compromise when it comes to capabilities. I had a 310, 632 and a 553. I was more concerned with ruts in my yard than anything. The 632 and 553 where not friendly on the yard. I liked the 310, but wanted something with hydros and diesel. So, enter the 463. With ballast, I lift 1000lb pallets, although it is very "tipy", and you dont want to lift it very high. And, it has more auxillary flow and pressure than the 553 and 632.
If you want to lift and dig, better find something bigger on flotation tires. If all you want is a basic, light machine that can get it done, then a 4XX is what you need.

Hotrod1830

If you are concerned with yard damage, then stick with the 4XX series. They are light, and very versatile. They can still ruin your grass if your not carefull, but they are less likely to leave ruts due to weight.
As for price, Im not in Northern Minnesota, but around here you can find a 440B for 3000-4500 in decent shape. try to steer clear of machines without auxillary hyrdo's. Most of them have them, and they are much needed to run accessories.
You may want to look into a newer 463. They are a little more money, but they have auxillary hydro's and will run any attachment your local rental company offers for the MT series walk-behind skids. not to mention they are diesel and will have more power.
The older 310,440,443, early 453 uses the old style quick-tach and is not compatible with the new stuff. Meaning, you will have to either find attachments from a older 4XX, or have them made/converted. Not fun.
The smaller machines are capable, but are a compromise when it comes to capabilities. I had a 310, 632 and a 553. I was more concerned with ruts in my yard than anything. The 632 and 553 where not friendly on the yard. I liked the 310, but wanted something with hydros and diesel. So, enter the 463. With ballast, I lift 1000lb pallets, although it is very "tipy", and you dont want to lift it very high. And, it has more auxillary flow and pressure than the 553 and 632.
If you want to lift and dig, better find something bigger on flotation tires. If all you want is a basic, light machine that can get it done, then a 4XX is what you need.
.......And welcome to the site