Fast Boom, but Slow Bucket Tilt function

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kroog

I changed all filters and fluids. I adjusted the cables and lubed them. My boom functions great, but the tilt is VERY slow. It has good power just moves slow. Please help

mllud

You probably have air in the lines. Operate the bucket back ant forth raise and lower the boom several times. drive it around for a while. It all helps bleed the air out.
Do things in 5 minute spurts. Then let it sit for an hour in between. That lets the air bubbles it the tank float to the top.
Mike

mllud

You probably have air in the lines. Operate the bucket back ant forth raise and lower the boom several times. drive it around for a while. It all helps bleed the air out.
Do things in 5 minute spurts. Then let it sit for an hour in between. That lets the air bubbles it the tank float to the top.
Mike
Sorry about the spelling in the last post. I meant to say air in the hydraulic lines.

OP
OP
K

kroog

Mike
Sounds great, but the tilt functions were slow BEFORE I changed oil and filters. It hasn't changed since I serviced it. Please help

mllud

Sounds great, but the tilt functions were slow BEFORE I changed oil and filters. It hasn't changed since I serviced it. Please help
The pump that works the boom and bucket is a gear pump thats seperate from the drive pumps. If it drives strong and the boom lift is strong and normal, the control valve for the bucket tilt may have a problem.
The pressure relief valve for the bucket tilt could be stuck open or bad. Does it hiss loud when you operate the bucket like when you bottom it out?
Also make sure your aux. hydraulics are off completly.
The gear pump that operates the boom and bucket should be ok if the boom lift is strong. I would try to lift something heavy to test the boom strength.If its strong its probably a bucket tilt valve as I described above. If its weak the pump may be weak. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
The pump that works the boom and bucket is a gear pump thats seperate from the drive pumps. If it drives strong and the boom lift is strong and normal, the control valve for the bucket tilt may have a problem.
The pressure relief valve for the bucket tilt could be stuck open or bad. Does it hiss loud when you operate the bucket like when you bottom it out?
The gear pump that operates the boom and bucket should be ok if the boom lift is strong. I would try to lift something heavy to test the boom strength.If its strong its probably a bucket tilt valve as I described above. If its weak the pump may be weak. Mike
LOL Mike, i touched up a few spelling mistakes there, whatever you are on i want some!
Sorry :)
I agree, air is most probably the problem, let it run for a while and see how you go. Avoid letting the cylinders bottom out so the oil goes over relief. It helps if you leave it sit as already mentioned between runs, this allows oil to settle in the tank and the aor bubble disappear. There is no point flushing the air out of your tank if full of foam and you just draw back in more foamy oil.

mllud

LOL Mike, i touched up a few spelling mistakes there, whatever you are on i want some!
Sorry :)
I agree, air is most probably the problem, let it run for a while and see how you go. Avoid letting the cylinders bottom out so the oil goes over relief. It helps if you leave it sit as already mentioned between runs, this allows oil to settle in the tank and the aor bubble disappear. There is no point flushing the air out of your tank if full of foam and you just draw back in more foamy oil.
Tazza Your right about what Im on. I sliced half way thru my index finger yesterday.I missed the tendon. Now Im typing with my middle finger.I still type with two fingers.
Your troubleshooting skills are good even about wether or not a member is medicated. Mike

OP
OP
K

kroog

I don't know where the relief valve is. Can you offer some help? Thank you

OP
OP
K

kroog

I checked. I have the aux hyd switch on the dash off. The toggle on the left drive stick is centered. It is a THOMAS T243HD S Series.

mllud

I checked. I have the aux hyd switch on the dash off. The toggle on the left drive stick is centered. It is a THOMAS T243HD S Series.
Im not familiar with your model but the relief valve should be on your control valve block. That should be down between your feet if you have manual foot controls(peddles) There is usually three valves combined in one block. (boom lift )(bucket tilt) and(aux. control)
The relief valve on my N/H is directly to the back of the valve for each section.Three valves so three relief valves. If you operate the tilt and see which valve moves. The relief valve should be at the opposit end of that valve. It screws in and may resemble a spark. plug.
If you have a toggle switch to control your aux. hyd. valve its activated by a electric selenoid. Make sure that selenoid is not sticking and not closing all the way.
If the oil in your hydraulic oil tank is foamy you have air in your system. It sometimes takes time to work out. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Im not familiar with your model but the relief valve should be on your control valve block. That should be down between your feet if you have manual foot controls(peddles) There is usually three valves combined in one block. (boom lift )(bucket tilt) and(aux. control)
The relief valve on my N/H is directly to the back of the valve for each section.Three valves so three relief valves. If you operate the tilt and see which valve moves. The relief valve should be at the opposit end of that valve. It screws in and may resemble a spark. plug.
If you have a toggle switch to control your aux. hyd. valve its activated by a electric selenoid. Make sure that selenoid is not sticking and not closing all the way.
If the oil in your hydraulic oil tank is foamy you have air in your system. It sometimes takes time to work out. Mike
Mike - nasty!!! Glad you didn't do too much damage, at least it will heal.

OP
OP
K

kroog

The tilt raises the entire front of the machine of the ground with no noises or hissing. Somone said the machine may have orifice restrictors in the tilts. Do you know anything about this.

mllud

The tilt raises the entire front of the machine of the ground with no noises or hissing. Somone said the machine may have orifice restrictors in the tilts. Do you know anything about this.
.It is possible that it is intended to operate at the speed that it is working, My N/H is slow compared to the boom. sometimes I would like it to be a little faster.Its probably easier to do precission tasks , safer and easier on the mechanics of the machine at the slower speed. Its hard to say if its normal without seeing or comparing it to another loader.
Some skid steers have the cycle time of the bucket in the specifications. The dealer may be able to give that information. They would need that information to make sure things are operating corectly.
I seen your introduction in the other post. Welcome to the forum. Its helped me thru some tough problems.The combined knowledge of all the members here is what makes it work.It would be better for you if there were more Thomas owners.There arent a lot of N/H owners either. The basics of skid steers are similar. I think some of new machines are different animals. Im sticking with what I can repair without hooking it up to a computer. Mike

Thomastech

The first thing I would check is if your seals in your cylinders are good. In order to check them you have to roll your qtach out to about a 45 degree angle, and shut the loader off. Then turn the key to the run position without starting it and rock the foot pedals to relieve hydraulic pressure on the lines. Next remove your tilt cylinder to qtach pins and allow your qtach to drop down. Then you have to disconnect your hoses under your step plate and remove your top tilt cylinder pin. When you have the tilt cylinder held in a vise remove the hoses from the cylinders and cap the ports so that no air can enter and no fluid can escape. Try pushing and pulling on the ram end of the cylinder, if it goes in and stays in or comes out and stays out you will need a new seal kit for t he cylinder. if not then the problem may be elsewhere in your system. let me know how you made out with this. I have plenty more tips that I can share.

OP
OP
K

kroog

The first thing I would check is if your seals in your cylinders are good. In order to check them you have to roll your qtach out to about a 45 degree angle, and shut the loader off. Then turn the key to the run position without starting it and rock the foot pedals to relieve hydraulic pressure on the lines. Next remove your tilt cylinder to qtach pins and allow your qtach to drop down. Then you have to disconnect your hoses under your step plate and remove your top tilt cylinder pin. When you have the tilt cylinder held in a vise remove the hoses from the cylinders and cap the ports so that no air can enter and no fluid can escape. Try pushing and pulling on the ram end of the cylinder, if it goes in and stays in or comes out and stays out you will need a new seal kit for t he cylinder. if not then the problem may be elsewhere in your system. let me know how you made out with this. I have plenty more tips that I can share.
I have no cyl drift off/bypass. The bucket lifts the machine albeit slowly. I have talked to CAT tech and they told me the previous owner may have installed orifice restrictors in the system. I will have to remove the line into the splitter and check. If the restriction is not there I will have to remove the lines into the tilt cyls and check there. Any other tips you can give, please do. Thank you

Thomastech

I have no cyl drift off/bypass. The bucket lifts the machine albeit slowly. I have talked to CAT tech and they told me the previous owner may have installed orifice restrictors in the system. I will have to remove the line into the splitter and check. If the restriction is not there I will have to remove the lines into the tilt cyls and check there. Any other tips you can give, please do. Thank you
You can give the Thomas Tech service department a call, they can be very helpful. They will ask for your serial number so have it ready. Just have to tell them your symptom and they will do their best to answer it, and if they can't give you an answer right away, they will get back to you in a reasonable amount of time. The number for them is 1-866-238-6844.