CASE 1740 Uni-loader Clutch Discs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mtymse63

Hello - new owner of a 1740 with a few mechanical fixes I've made to get her running. I checked the clutches and the tightening nut is maxed out so going to assume that new clutches are in order very soon. My serial number shows that I have 2 Piece Hub and requires Formsprag disc #D55173. I looked up Messick's on line and also called to verify whether in fact the price listed is $141.82 per disc, unfortunately, when I called the rep verified the pricing :(. Are there any other sources for these discs that don't "rape" the wallet? Messick's shows a Service Replacement Disc of T40018, is that an all together different disc? Thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
I haven't heard of other sources, but if it's only 2 discs, that price isn't too horrible as it will take a LONG time to wear out.
Sadly i can't tell you about the T40018 part, they some times make one part obsolite and replace it with another due to the fact they may decide to sell a whole unit instead of a single piece, i suspect to get more money out of you.

OP
OP
M

Mtymse63

I haven't heard of other sources, but if it's only 2 discs, that price isn't too horrible as it will take a LONG time to wear out.
Sadly i can't tell you about the T40018 part, they some times make one part obsolite and replace it with another due to the fact they may decide to sell a whole unit instead of a single piece, i suspect to get more money out of you.
Thanks for the reply Tazza. Unfortunately, there are a total of 20 discs that would be required for a complete replacement (20 x $141= $2820). I thought I had read someplace that the discs were running approximately $50 a piece, but can't seem to recollect the forum.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply Tazza. Unfortunately, there are a total of 20 discs that would be required for a complete replacement (20 x $141= $2820). I thought I had read someplace that the discs were running approximately $50 a piece, but can't seem to recollect the forum.
Yeah, that does make it add up, and quickly, seems like a silly price really.

OP
OP
M

Mtymse63

A quick Google search of the part numbers (highlight-right click-select Search Google from the dropdown) gives a couple of less expensive options.

Here's the OEM number for $56.45

Here's the T40018 for $39.40
Flyerdan - thanks for reply. It seems I have done every Google search possible to try to come up with discs. I've even called the LPS google you mentioned above, challenge is I'm looking for Case part #D55173 (Formsprag) or an aftermarket part that replaces it. The $56.45 part from above is for Stearns clutch which replaces part number #D55212. I asked them if the T40018 would work and they said their computer does not show a cross reference for my #D55173. Ugh! Hard for me to believe that the clutch I'm looking for which is very similar the others is twice the cost (guess its just my luck). Any additional insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

TriHonu

Flyerdan - thanks for reply. It seems I have done every Google search possible to try to come up with discs. I've even called the LPS google you mentioned above, challenge is I'm looking for Case part #D55173 (Formsprag) or an aftermarket part that replaces it. The $56.45 part from above is for Stearns clutch which replaces part number #D55212. I asked them if the T40018 would work and they said their computer does not show a cross reference for my #D55173. Ugh! Hard for me to believe that the clutch I'm looking for which is very similar the others is twice the cost (guess its just my luck). Any additional insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
&nbsp
Depending on how they are assembled, you could try to get them re-lined. The first place I found online was [COLOR=mediumblue"]AllFrictions.com[/COLOR]
A few decades back we had a pneumatic rivet machine on the farm. It was used for attaching replacement brake and clutch linings. Over time it got cheaper to just buy replacement parts than to rebuild what we had.

flyerdan

&nbsp
Depending on how they are assembled, you could try to get them re-lined. The first place I found online was AllFrictions.com
A few decades back we had a pneumatic rivet machine on the farm. It was used for attaching replacement brake and clutch linings. Over time it got cheaper to just buy replacement parts than to rebuild what we had.
It's odd that they would change the basic design of something like this so radically; most OEM try to use the same part in as many apps as possible to reduce inventory and complexity. I can see them using the same disc and having a different pn for a reformulated lining (asbestos free), and playing jiggery-pokery with parts crossover benefits inflated dealer pricing.

How many clutches are there in the machine? You mention needing 20 discs, but a typical clutch shows 5 friction discs and 4 driven ones. Perhaps that's why there is a serial number break, a clutch pack with 19 discs would be a whole different profile.

text

OP
OP
M

Mtymse63

It's odd that they would change the basic design of something like this so radically; most OEM try to use the same part in as many apps as possible to reduce inventory and complexity. I can see them using the same disc and having a different pn for a reformulated lining (asbestos free), and playing jiggery-pokery with parts crossover benefits inflated dealer pricing.

How many clutches are there in the machine? You mention needing 20 discs, but a typical clutch shows 5 friction discs and 4 driven ones. Perhaps that's why there is a serial number break, a clutch pack with 19 discs would be a whole different profile.
It get's crazy trying to understand reasoning. There are 4 total clutches that require 5 clutch discs each (forward and reverse drive clutches for left and right side). The Case 1737 (gas) and 1740 (diesel) are I believe the same machine except engine. There are two types of clutches that were used, Formsprag and Stearns and "supposedly" some clutch discs were for clutches used prior to "x" serial number/vin and some used after that serial number. Using the Messick's parts pages like from your post, my 1740 should have D55173 (which appear to be the hardest to find). To your point, its seems as thought the clutches would be the same but numbered different for each package or offering. I inquired with a guy that sells aftermarket parts and he said the the T40018 would not work which I believe is the OEM replacement for D55212 Stearns clutch. But if you look at Messick's parts they say that the T40018 is for Formsprag clutch. Ugh. Looking more like I might have to fork out the higher price of $100+ per disc since it seems I can't find an aftermarket option???

flyerdan

It get's crazy trying to understand reasoning. There are 4 total clutches that require 5 clutch discs each (forward and reverse drive clutches for left and right side). The Case 1737 (gas) and 1740 (diesel) are I believe the same machine except engine. There are two types of clutches that were used, Formsprag and Stearns and "supposedly" some clutch discs were for clutches used prior to "x" serial number/vin and some used after that serial number. Using the Messick's parts pages like from your post, my 1740 should have D55173 (which appear to be the hardest to find). To your point, its seems as thought the clutches would be the same but numbered different for each package or offering. I inquired with a guy that sells aftermarket parts and he said the the T40018 would not work which I believe is the OEM replacement for D55212 Stearns clutch. But if you look at Messick's parts they say that the T40018 is for Formsprag clutch. Ugh. Looking more like I might have to fork out the higher price of $100+ per disc since it seems I can't find an aftermarket option???
It is rather odd. The Messick catalog shows that both of the Formsprag clutches use the same basket, so the driving (friction) discs should work in either model, since the hubs are different the driven (smooth) discs would be different, of course.
It's too bad that there isn't a local place that has both where you could compare them with one of yours. If it was me, I'd probably take a chance on some of the $40 ones from LPS and see if they'd fit.

OP
OP
M

Mtymse63

It is rather odd. The Messick catalog shows that both of the Formsprag clutches use the same basket, so the driving (friction) discs should work in either model, since the hubs are different the driven (smooth) discs would be different, of course.
It's too bad that there isn't a local place that has both where you could compare them with one of yours. If it was me, I'd probably take a chance on some of the $40 ones from LPS and see if they'd fit.
After an exhaustive process of trying to track down OEM discs and finding that the reps at several CASE dealers had to try to find archive info and jump on Google just like me....I may have found a solution. I purchased an OEM D55173 friction disc from a CASE dealer for $179.00 (ouch!). I then purchased a few discs from LPS so I could compare and measure. I was able to find that the T40018 disc is the same as the D55173 disc which I hope is what is in my skid steer as that is what I found through research. Hoping to buy 20 of the T40018 aftermarket discs for $39.00 a piece as opposed to 20 discs of D55173 for $179.00. Not that I want to change clutches all the time but at a savings of $2800 I can pretty much change clutches 4X at the price of the OEM parts. Thanks again to everyone for your input. Hopefully this helps other in a similar situation.

floyd88

After an exhaustive process of trying to track down OEM discs and finding that the reps at several CASE dealers had to try to find archive info and jump on Google just like me....I may have found a solution. I purchased an OEM D55173 friction disc from a CASE dealer for $179.00 (ouch!). I then purchased a few discs from LPS so I could compare and measure. I was able to find that the T40018 disc is the same as the D55173 disc which I hope is what is in my skid steer as that is what I found through research. Hoping to buy 20 of the T40018 aftermarket discs for $39.00 a piece as opposed to 20 discs of D55173 for $179.00. Not that I want to change clutches all the time but at a savings of $2800 I can pretty much change clutches 4X at the price of the OEM parts. Thanks again to everyone for your input. Hopefully this helps other in a similar situation.
I'm hoping that you can tell me what the measurements were of those discs are and where i can get them from please?

ThomasWisconsin

Did you order the T40018 disks and if so did they work good?
Hello, currently looking at this to fix a 1530 B . Skidsteer clutch. With similar issues. Comparison from Jessica's and LPS. Is there a difference in the clutches since you put in the T40018? Thank you Thomas, Wisconsin