Advice on Idea to use a Snow Plow Sys. for Aux on Grapple Cyl.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HighFly27

Hello All, 1. I just bought a used (1998 ?) Case 1838 skid steer. I'm in the process of doing a full service (repack lift cyl., repair rusted bucket, etc.) and other required checks/ adjustments. 2. I bought the 1838 to move some dirt that has build up behind in a ditch behind a 70 L. x 50 W. building. The building wall/ ditch is 6 ft. high and 6 to 7 feet wide. I have CAT backhoe but it not will fit in the narrow (concrete) ditch with a high sloped bank on the other side of the ditch. -------------- I have priced a slip on tooth bar to help in the digging process. The soil is from the spring run off in 2014. This was caused by several small trees growing in the ditch. I live in FL and the building is in PA. No one walks behind the building and noticed all the dirt (deposited) there, was found a month ago. 3. I have checked the Homemade Forum and found (3) examples of DIY Grapples. I need a grapple to clean up this property and will be making up a grapple add-on in the next month or so. ............ Now, I do not have a AUX Hook Up on my Case 1838. I have done some checking on EBay and other vendors. Anyway you slice it... AUX Hyd's. are fairly expensive and an involved installation. ............ I have (2) snow plows in PA and one of them has a new electric pump and (2) way valve (up/ down. & side angle) control. --------------- 4. I was thinking of using this new snow plow hyd. control & pump on my 1838 to operate the Grapple Cyl.; it would not be as fast as the AUX Hyd. Sys. on factory plumbed machine. ------------------- 5. I'm thinking it would do the job, the snow plow cyl. lifts the snow plow fast enough to suit me. I'm using (1) cyl. on the Grapple. The few seconds of added wait time would be Ok vs. buying a complete Aux Hyd. Sys., about $ 1,500 as an estimate & install time. --------------- 6. Operation... could be as simple as (3) position electric switch clamped on one of the sticks to open & close the grapple. Wiring the connecting electrical cables is not a problem. ------------ 7. Anyway, let me know your thought's.. does it sound like a reasonable/ workable idea ?!? ------------ Thanks' in Advance, Avery

jerry

As long as you use a 2 way cylinder it should work. Depending on how much pressure the plow pump puts out. The plow cylinders of course are one way.

wbecker

As long as you use a 2 way cylinder it should work. Depending on how much pressure the plow pump puts out. The plow cylinders of course are one way.
Sounds reasonable to me. If you need a hydraulic cylinder go to www.surpluscenter.com great selection good prices. Bill B

mark18mwm

There must be someplace in your hyd system you could tap into to get hdy pressure to run a separate valve to control a grapple. For instance the main pressure line from the pump to your control valve that is already there. A simple "t" fitting with a line going to a new valve that you install for the grapple control. The valve would need a relief valve on it if you tap in before the main relief on the machine. Here is a link to a example of a valve from surplus center that would work. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Valves/Directional-Control-Valves/1-SPOOL-8-GPM-PRINCE-MB11B5C1-DA-VALVE-9-7861.axd Then just find a convenient place to bolt on the new valve, get some hoses and you have your new aux hydraulics with out all the money for a "kit", $1,500 seems awful steep when you should be able to do something like this with new parts for around $200 or if you can find god used parts way less then that. Not as fancy as a factory aux system but just as effective.

Hotrod1830

There must be someplace in your hyd system you could tap into to get hdy pressure to run a separate valve to control a grapple. For instance the main pressure line from the pump to your control valve that is already there. A simple "t" fitting with a line going to a new valve that you install for the grapple control. The valve would need a relief valve on it if you tap in before the main relief on the machine. Here is a link to a example of a valve from surplus center that would work. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Valves/Directional-Control-Valves/1-SPOOL-8-GPM-PRINCE-MB11B5C1-DA-VALVE-9-7861.axd Then just find a convenient place to bolt on the new valve, get some hoses and you have your new aux hydraulics with out all the money for a "kit", $1,500 seems awful steep when you should be able to do something like this with new parts for around $200 or if you can find god used parts way less then that. Not as fancy as a factory aux system but just as effective.
Snow plow hydraulics are single acting systems.
You could also just add a switching valve to the lift or tilt hydrualic lines and run a couple hoses and have your auxillary function. With the flip of a switch, they would be controlled by the bucket control.

OP
OP
H

HighFly27

Snow plow hydraulics are single acting systems.
You could also just add a switching valve to the lift or tilt hydrualic lines and run a couple hoses and have your auxillary function. With the flip of a switch, they would be controlled by the bucket control.
Response, Yep, I could tap into the output of the 1838 main pump. I just got the Case 1838 and have not looked at the hydraulic system (yet). -------------- I brought up the Snow Plow because it's brand new and I own it. I understand the fact that the plow lift cyl. is single acting. ----------- I'm not using this portion of the snow plow system. I'm using the 12 volt pump and electrical (3 way) switching that operates the blade left and right on the blade angle side.----------------- I have 3 or 4 parked tractors with varied hyd. components -- spool valves, cyl's., lines, etc.. . However, I'd be better buying what I need, and the surplus price if $ 200.00 bucks seems about right. Thanks for the advice---- Avery

Tazza

Staff member
Response, Yep, I could tap into the output of the 1838 main pump. I just got the Case 1838 and have not looked at the hydraulic system (yet). -------------- I brought up the Snow Plow because it's brand new and I own it. I understand the fact that the plow lift cyl. is single acting. ----------- I'm not using this portion of the snow plow system. I'm using the 12 volt pump and electrical (3 way) switching that operates the blade left and right on the blade angle side.----------------- I have 3 or 4 parked tractors with varied hyd. components -- spool valves, cyl's., lines, etc.. . However, I'd be better buying what I need, and the surplus price if $ 200.00 bucks seems about right. Thanks for the advice---- Avery
I see no issue with the stand along hydraulic pump. Yes, it will be slower to operate, but it will be independant of the other hydraulics.
The only issue i see is getting enough current from the battery there to run the pump.